Do I Need To Run An Earth

What's Hot
To the underside of the bridge on this Esquire I'm building.
Or is it enough that the metal bridge is (theoretically) attached to the metal baseplate of the pickup by metal screws and the pickup is earthed ?

Or is that really shabby ?

And do I need a bridge earth anyway ? I'm sure there was a discussion that suggested the contrary...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I would, just to be sure.

But I'm a very careful fellow!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73070
    The original Fender way is via the pickup baseplate and is almost always fine.

But it does no harm to add a direct ground wire as well, and it avoids the problem of corrosion between the screw heads and the bridge breaking the ground connection, which can sometimes happen on very old ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    yeah, you can get away without it if you want.   Tele's have to be the easiest guitar for this as you don't even need to drill a new hole if you do decide to add one. i know many find that little angled wiring channel a bit intimidating to drill 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    You just run a wire parallel to the bridge pickup wire, strip the end and pop it down the bridge fixing screw hole if you aren't too fussy
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Wisdoms awarded to all of you and thanks for being my ad hoc quality control dept.
    The bridge earth is in !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom