Has anyone used Crazyparts for pickguards etc?

What's Hot
I'm looking for a replacement pickguard for my 1988 Goldtop Lester which is showing it's age so I don't want anything that looks too shiny and new. I was planning on sourcing one on ebay and ageing it myself but googled across Crazyparts in Germany. Does anyone have experience dealing with them, the website is a bit iffy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    edited April 2016
    I've read something about fitment issues on some of their guards but have no personal experience. 

Duno about the website but they are not an iffy outfit! Very well known.

What colour are you looking to buy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I bought hardware from them in the past - they are fine to deal with. No experience of their plastics though.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 756
    I bought a 4 ply reliced tortoise pickguard from them. The upper ply (the transparent one) started to peel right after I installed it around the screw holes. Not very happy about it, especially considering the price I paid for it (around €50 from memory).

However, I've bought a few other things from them - including the full hardware for the same strat - with no problems.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418

Ditto. some of the stuff looks really great.

My experience - I wanted a vintage Tele control plate - the one that turned up was shiny new chrome (and wouldn't age in vinegar) - had to get a nickel one elsewhere. But on reflection the "vintage" probably meant layout not "reliced" (it was under a tenner so didn't bother with the rigamarole of German Returns process) 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 444
    Jalapeno said:

My experience - I wanted a vintage Tele control plate - the one that turned up was shiny new chrome (and wouldn't age in vinegar) - had to get a nickel one elsewhere. But on reflection the "vintage" probably meant layout not "reliced" (it was under a tenner so didn't bother with the rigamarole of German Returns process) 
    I tried to age a chrome Tele control plate with vinegar no joy as it's just too resistant, if you find a source of nickel plated ones I'd be very keen to know?
    @Jalepeno To be fair, 50's tele control plates were chrome. 

I do aged nickel ones too because they look pretty cool. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 444
    I've read something about fitment issues on some of their guards but have no personal experience. 

What colour are you looking to buy?
    I'm looking for a washed-out/sun-bleached faded cream or ivory one or possibly plain white which I'd stain. I've had fitting issues in the past but I'm too mean to shell out $50 plus import charges on an Area 59 one or similar.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    tFB Trader
    I use them regularly ... good products ... stupidly slow delivery at times. Up side is they always send you sweeties with your order! :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JCA2550 said:
    Jalapeno said:

I tried to age a chrome Tele control plate with vinegar no joy as it's just too resistant, if you find a source of nickel plated ones I'd be very keen to know?
    I've got Nickel. Not put them on my site yet - forgot to work out pricing, they're not that cheap for me to buy so I'm uhmming and ahhing.

I'll take a look and see what I've got in stock if you want to age one yourself.

Will PM you about pickguard.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    JCA2550 said:

I have them in both shiny nickel and aged.
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_20&products_id=209
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_20&products_id=215
    I don't claim that the aged are repros - it is definitely just a cosmetic option and closer to a stone wash finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    I have an old Custom Shop Historic guard if you are interested.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    I use them regularly ... good products ... stupidly slow delivery at times. Up side is they always send you sweeties with your order! :-)
    I've always been too scared to eat the sweets they send for fear of being poisoned by the Germans!!!!! they still remember the war
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom