Jazz Box Switching Options?

Due to a clerical error, the new pots for my real-soon-now jazz box tart-up arrived with push/pull switches on them, so I'm wondering what the switches could be used for. The guitar is an Ibanez AF-55 hollow body with floating bridge. It will have two humbuckers with vintage-style braided wiring, so no options to split the coils. The controls are a 3-way toggle switch, one volume and one tone. The intended pickups are Oil City Blitz Spirits with Alnico 3 magnets.

Although I can't play jazz to save myself (I have no clue), the main aim with this guitar is to get a nice jazzy tone to mess about with and generally explore. I'd be interested in trying to add a more acoustic type of sound as an option, or maybe something bluesy, or something else that I haven't thought of.

My thoughts for the switches are...

Maybe a treble pass on the volume if it otherwise dulls down too much when backed off (possibly set up to add more jangle than it would naturally produce at full volume?).

Phase reversal of one pickup, but not sure if I'd risk adding noise by making the cover the hot side of the signal (and I don't think it's likely to suit the guitar).

Two different tone caps? Not sure I see the point of this if I can just fit the bigger value and adjust the knob to suit. Then again, maybe I could switch in some other sort of tone circuit?

Any other ideas?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73070
    Built-in fuzztone?

;)

You're right that you can't phase-switch a single-conductor pickup with a metal casing, the casing will then add noise instead of shielding against it and will buzz loudly when you touch it.

The switchable treble-pass is possibly a good idea - you don't always want it.

I would use at least one of them for a bass-cut cap - a cap in series with the pickup(s). You can either do this for the whole guitar - wire it pickups > switch  > tone > bass-cut > volume - or per pickup with it between the pickup and the switch, either just on one pickup (probably the bridge, to give the widest range of sounds) or with one switch for each.

The advantages of doing one per pickup are that you have more tone options, and the both-pickups sound will be inherently more 'acoustic' if one pickup has the bass-cut on and the other doesn't, because the cap introduces a partial phase shift as well. This isn't as dramatic as physically reversing the pickup but it does give a more 'airy' complex sound.

You could also use one of them for a preset 'full up' setting to bypass the volume and/or tone control, but that might be less useful on a jazz box.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom