Breivik has won a case against Norway.

What's Hot
Breivik has won part of a human rights case against the Norwegian state to be precise.

Its mind boggling at least - I just can't get it.

He sits in a comfy cell (well, he has three of them actually - one for studying, one for sleeping and one is an exercise room) tv, access to computer and newspapers. He can call his lady-friend and can work out daily in the yard.
He nazi-saluts the judges in the court and all people around watch that like he's some kind of fucking champion there.

77 souls he took. Now, he wins cases in court and they have to pay him 330,000 kroner (£26 grand).
How on earth is he still alive and well is beyond me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Beyond belief.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Yeah, but look at it from his side.

(In case it isn't obvious, I'm not being serious).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

The Human Rights Act has gone past its remit.  I would go so far and say its use by date has expired.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1777
    octatonic;1044918" said:

Oh no mate, absolutely! Breivik is just playing the system - and he's playing it well! He has just won a case! He must be thinking he's untouchable and superior (which I bet he does so).
    It's the system and the ridiculousness of it that makes You think WTF??
    octatonic;1044918" said:

Oh no mate, absolutely! Breivik is just playing the system - and he's playing it well! He has just won a case! He must be thinking he's untouchable and superior (which I bet he does so).
    It's the system and the ridiculousness of it that makes You think WTF??
    Yes, and he has fuck all else to do so he can devote 100% of his time to it.

I find the psychology of these people pretty fascinating- the ability to rationalise away their actions.
    I couldn't live with what he has on his conscience- yet he manages to and then also manages to fight the legal technicalities associated with his imprisonment.

I imagine he will sleep a little more soundly in his bed tonight- but at least that bed is still in prison and he can't get out and hurt more people. If he wins some legal technicalities then so be it. 
    The main thing is he is still locked up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843

The Human Rights Act has gone past its remit.  I would go so far and say its use by date has expired.

I had no idea our Human Rights Act and the EU human rights treaties applied to a different country and non-member.

Wow!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

I had no idea our Human Rights Act and the EU human rights treaties applied to a different country and non-member.

Wow!
    LOL.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Read the detail. If they were waking him up every half hour every night that goes far beyond reasonable punishment and is tantamount to torture.

In any case, this proves that justice is applied equally and fairly to everyone no matter what they have done, which is as it should be. The Norwegians made a point of doing that in the first place when he was tried.

Part of me does hope they take his request to take him out of solitary at face value though. I can't imagine he'd have an easy time from the other prisoners.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    Norway has one of the best rates of recidivism in the entire world. I'm fairly happy to trust that they know what they are doing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    ICBM said:
    Read the detail. If they were waking him up every half hour every night that goes far beyond reasonable punishment and is tantamount to torture.

Edit: don't worry I found it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    UnclePsychosis;1044942" said:
    Norway has one of the best rates of recidivism in the entire world. I'm fairly happy to trust that they know what they are doing.
    This. Lowest reoffending rate in the world, lowest prison suicides, very hi rehabilitation & education of offenders.

And the law is applied equally to all. As it should be.

We should be copying them.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Wow!

I'll get the wife to retort the legal wotnots. ;) ECHR and all the other acronyms. I'm too busy reading the Beano to worry about such triviality ;)

Wow!

I'll get the wife to retort the legal wotnots. ;) ECHR and all the other acronyms. I'm too busy reading the Beano to worry about such triviality ;)

Are you resting a can of Special Brew on your belly too?
    edited April 2016
    octatonic said:

Wow!

Are you resting a can of Special Brew on your belly too?

I would if I could put the weight on :( 

edited April 2016
    ICBM said:
     they were waking him up every half hour every night
    That's because his alarm clock was broke.

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1777
    fretmeister;1044948" said:
    [quote="UnclePsychosis;1044942"]Norway has one of the best rates of recidivism in the entire world. I'm fairly happy to trust that they know what they are doing.
    This. Lowest reoffending rate in the world, lowest prison suicides, very hi rehabilitation & education of offenders.

And the law is applied equally to all. As it should be.

We should be copying them.[/quote]

Agree - this is a great example.

Although population is only just over 5 milion and Norway is a rich country (they can afford to provide resources and apply time to rehabilitate with high quality standards and don't struggle with overcrowded prisons).
    UK can definitely try to follow that path but the circumstances are a bit different.

Btw: great country - Norway. I've spent few years there and Utoya tragedy hit me hard. Showing Breivik saluting in court followed by discussion with the use of words "equal, law" etc is just somewhat unsettling.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    What a joke. Brevik is a total arsehole. They should have just shot the cunt, and had done with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    What a joke. Brevik is a total arsehole. They should have just shot the cunt, and had done with it.

Amen to that.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
    Cunt is the wrong word. I like female genetailia
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    edited April 2016
    By all accounts few Norwegians would agree with you. 

But the extent of the punishment or retribution contained within Breivik’s sentence seems less a matter of public concern in Norway than the desire for the country to heal, according to Nils Christie, an emeritus law professor in criminology at the University of Oslo. Christie told me he was not aware of any “voices for revenge” in Norway or calls for harsher punishment for Breivik. “We want to keep our standards,” he explained. “Hate would be to give victory to the offender.” Johansen added that he thinks the most pressing topic of discussion in Norway now is why Breivik did what he did, not strictly what will become of him.

In public remarks since the attacks, figures including Prime Minister Jan Stoltenberg, Crown Prince Haakon, and Oslo Mayor Fabian Stang have similarly refused to call for retribution or revenge. At a memorial in Oslo on Tuesday, Stang said that, in the end, Breivik’s greatest punishment would be for Norway to become “even warmer, more generous and more democratic.”

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom