What glue?

usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
edited April 2016 in Making & Modding
Need to fill a couple of accidental 'tone' holes in a wenge body. Got the shavings and dust, but what glue should I be mixing the shavings and dust with, please?
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Natural finish, btw..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    usedtobe said:
    Natural finish, btw..

Natural oil or natural lacquer - and will it be grain filled

Wenge is a very open pored wood and you can also have a lot of colour variation between the light and dark sections.  I foiling you want all that to look proper now, but also age the same way too.  it can make it a complex fill

If oiling, epoxy and dust, if lacquering and grainfilling, super glue and dust.  but be aware both will darker with the glue, this is okay if the finish darkens the wood by the same amount.  you can recur some pore lines into the fill to help disguise it if needs be

all the above depends on the size of the fill and the colour of the wenge

Oil finish.. Thanks :)

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    If the chips are larger you could cut out a V and let in a piece of new wood. The glue lines down the edges would be less obvious than a glue/dust fill.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    If the chips are larger you could cut out a V and let in a piece of new wood. The glue lines down the edges would be less obvious than a glue/dust fill.
    yeah, a pic of the damage would help us give the best solution
    I'll get busy with the camera, when I get a minute..