Andy1515jr's latest project

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3107
edited April 2016 in Making & Modding
@Andy1515jr it's been a week now.....since you completed the (Awesome) Acoustic, I'm suffering nocurrentAndybuildthreaditis, could you start build another please, as I can't afford so many pies and cake to comfort eat while waiting?.....

Thanks in anticipation etc......
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Haha.... I am actually starting a very, very challenging bass refurb.... I'll post a thread when I get back from cold and wet but otherwise beautiful Scotland :) It really is one that might not end well.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3107
    Excellent!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 922
    edited April 2016
     It really is one that might not end well.....

paulnb57 said:
    Excellent!

Bit harsh ;)
    Tongue in cheek Hedgers!.....

:))

Well, my builds and restoration jobs are like my sax playing - always on the very edge of disaster....

I'm back in Old Blighty so will post the latest challenge shortly 
    ;)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Well said @paulnb57 we definitely need more of Andy's threads round here!!
    @Andyjr1515 can you bring us back some single malt please, and details of the celebrity threesome with the injunction 
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    Well said @paulnb57 we definitely need more of Andy's threads round here!!
    @Andyjr1515 can you bring us back some single malt please, and details of the celebrity threesome with the injunction 

Sadly, the only thing I've come back with is a few more details of the 'challenge' I've just taken on.

It's an old bass - 70's? 80's? - loosely based one of the Alembic models.  And it's in a right old state.

It has been commissioned from a guy on one of the bass forums I've done some small stuff for before - but this is a real corker.

It looks OK at first glance:

...and then you realise that there has been a catastrophic failure in the glue - both in the through neck and the body layers:

If I can get it structurally sound, the guy wants some VERY fancy pickups putting in (we're talking £400+ just for the p/ups).  The big challenge at the moment is the first bit....'if I can get it structurally sound'
    Piece o cake!

paulnb57 said:
    Piece o cake!
    You mean that kind of cake that breaks into crumbs before you can get your chops around it....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    Honestly..it's such a simple job. A tin of Evostick and plenty of those rubber bands that the posty's drop and it'll be right as rain... :-\"
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    paulnb57 said:
    Piece o cake!
    You mean that kind of cake that breaks into crumbs before you can get your chops around it....
    Thats the joker Andy, good luck with it, I'm confident you will come up with a solution

• Hmmm... good luck with that!

I suppose it's not so loose it can just* be separated into all its component pieces and reassembled with new glue is it?

* Surely easy for a man of your skills ;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16966
    edited April 2016
    All the joins are contaminated now, both with the original glue and any dirt that has since got in there. I would at least be breaking it down to neck and wings first, but if there is any splitting on the neck shaft the whole lot will need to come apart to have the joins cleaned and reglued

Looks overly thick so I would lose the back layer as well, or take it off to do some weight relief
    WezV said:
    All the joins are contaminated now, both with the original glue and any dirt that has since got in there. I would at least be breaking it down to neck and wings first, but if there is any splitting on the neck shaft the whole lot will need to come apart to have the joins cleaned and reglued

Looks overly thick so I would lose the back layer as well, or take it off to do some weight relief

Wise words and I agree with most, excepting that some of the ideals are not going to be possible without risking a complete wreck...the stuck bits really are stuck! The good news is that the neck shaft appears to be sound and therefore there are less critical structural issues than there might have been. Ref the back panels, not only are they oak, but they are cross grain...it's no wonder they have curled! I'm still at the evaluation stage so my view might change. I've started from a 'the only way to do this is to completely disassemble and redo' to a 'there may need to be compromises because that may not be possible if we want the thing to survive the trip' . I also need to talk to the owner before I do much more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom