How would one paint a guitar like this?

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
edited April 2016 in Making & Modding
I've seen this on Facebook and it's the kind of thing I've often thought about doing myself - I used to be something of a painter a few years ago (I used acrylics and generally did almost abstract painting but was fairly technically alright too) and have often thought painting patterns, motifs or emblems on a guitar would be quite a cool paint job:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a639/matthew_goodwin1/Mobile Uploads/FB_IMG_1461427066711_zpslp2wy8pz.jpg

Would it be easier to get a base painted body then paint over it? What paints would work best? And would it then have to be lacquered?

Cheers
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I think @lamf68 just did one for somebody on here using decals iirc.

I've done similar (as far as the illustrations go) using marker pens which I think the original was done with too (might be wrong on that) but acrylics would work too, you could easily outline and then fill-in.

As for the body before you decorate it, it is either red with white oversprayed or the reverse, can't remember which or whether it matters.

Thinking of doing Hendrix meets White on your 'plane? ;)

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
    Interesting, never used decals, I vaguely recall looking at them before but I think you need a printer to print onto special paper? Will Google it.

Marker pens sound good, as would acrylics add that's what I'm used to using albeit on paper or canvas.

It's very much a whim, but I've always fancied doing a decorative thing like that, either psychedelic or a bit "Third man records" ish, and I've also always fancied relearning to play on an upside down left handed guitar like Hendrix, so it might fulfill both were I to have a go
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited April 2016
    i don't think regular marker pens would be thick enough. they work on paper as it's porous so absorb enough to leave a decent mark. but they tend to skid around on very smooth surfaces and not leave a thick enough layer behind that you can't see through it. maybe touch up paints for cars? or those humbrol enamel paints for airfix kits. could even try nail varnish.

you also have to be careful and test before trying anything out on the real thing as some combinations of paint types can cause wrinkling and bubbling. i think if you put clear car spray over acrylic paint the acrylic paint crinkles up as if using paint stripper. some things work better on top of others than under. it's a science that requires more planning than you might first expect.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Marker pens might also be prone to fading over time - far less of an issue with proper artists acrylics.

I'd do it proper style - primed body, gesso, paint pretty pictures, lacquer, lacquer, and more lacquer.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
    Thanks guys, food for thought definitely thigh might be a level above my talent by the looks of things
    PVO_Dave;1048839" said:
    Wow! That looks amazing and a good detailed build thread, thanks dude