Favourite get up and do stuff tunes?

What's Hot
frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
edited December 2013 in Music
I need em after the "something in me eye" thread ;)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    The Rocky theme gets me up the stairs
    Starsky and Hutch gets me down the stairs
    High noon gets me swaggering
    Dya Think im sexy gets me dancing erm sexy! (fuckin shut up its my answer and youll never proove im not sexy anyway!

:D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72915
    edited December 2013
    I once danced (or more like pogo'ed - I think that's the word :) ) to Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastic Bertrand when very drunk in a large tent in a field near Paris, which is about as close as I'll ever be to "getting up", so that's my answer!

I think some of my friends still have it on video, it's quite funny ;).

It probably wasn't a million miles away from this… he can't dance either :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013

Close To Me - The Cure

Electioneering - Radiohead

Waiting On The Great Leap Forward - Billy Bragg

Bad Moon Rising - Creedence

No One Knows - QOTSA

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5879
    edited December 2013
    A couple of extreme opposites from "Getting Something in Your Eye".

Nice bouncy tunes.

and

Edit: Sorry, couldn't leave this one out.

:D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    edited December 2013
    or this

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    edited December 2013
    Have a dance to these bad boys, btw good to see Bandoliers getting a rec @frankus. My no.1 favourite song for a long time after TCV album release:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited December 2013

One of my best comedy dancing/falling over songs. @frankus checkout what he's playing... possibly not your thing but you might like. (Her voice usually sounds better than this clip)

@Deadman SLF- one of my fave bands & favourite guitar sounds.
    edited December 2013
    @historyisjunk been meaning to go and see them again but haven't had chance so far. I saw Henry Cluney a couple of years ago. He was fantastic but he is the size of a house. He didn't look well, bless him.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited December 2013
    @Deadman

SLF were my first proper gig back in the day (1st UK tour IIRC) and still love them, seen them many times and met them a few times.

More Yammie SG1000/2000's making lovely noises.

They played up in Inverness a while back and my mate was on monitor sound, they are apparently mutton now and Jake particularly had 2 or 3 800 Watt RMS wedges at batshit crazy volume.

Great bunch of dudes.
    Nice one Johnny. The Damned were my first gig.

I'd like to meet Jake, I bet he's cool to talk to. I like the interviews I've seen and listened to over the years.

Inflammable material's going in the car today!
    Yeah Johnny Was a lucky man you could say.

I missed seeing the Damned until a few years later and thought they were ace, big fan of them too back then, and now of course.

The whole band were gents and even donated some picks to my collection.

Got to talk to SLF at the Loch Lomond Festival and they were great craic and slagged off the Jam because they were far too sexy to associate with the other bands, refused their offer of drinkies and nosh up in the hospitality tent.

The Jam also refused to sign autographs for fans and uberfans and were the only band to do so the whole weekend.

They went limo bus to stage - stage to limo bus and offski.

Here is the line up for the weekend and the year before it was The Stranglers and some choice bands of the time.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Loch-Lomond-Festival-1980.html

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Loch-Lomond-Festival.html

Shame that festival only lasted 2 or 3 years.
    Brilliant stuff. I enjoyed reading that, cheers Johnny.

Doesn't surprise me about The Jam. Weller will have been the driver behind that, not Rick or Bruce.

(btw Johnny was is possibly my favourite SLF track).
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013

This is going to sound a bit arse-licky but I find 'The Fretboard Anthem' a good do stuff song although I have to skip to 1:38 to avoid Dweezil Zappa's bit which just riles me -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upMOpwiGvmg&feature=player_detailpage#t=97

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited December 2013

@Deadman ; & @Johnnyurq

Apologies for lateness responding. Some good stories there, interesting what John said about the Jam & some kind of irony that Bruce Foxton ended up in SLF.

Sorry to hear Henry Cluney's not looking well & didn't know he was playing again, last I read I think he was a radio DJ in the US.

Not sure what they'd be like live now, I saw them once as the original band & they were excellent, though way too loud even the PA was distorting, no wonder they're so deaf, all pretty mental. Then saw them a couple of times since they reformed inc StPatrick's night at Barrowlands (too much beer throwing) they were still pretty good. I do miss the Yamaha SGs, early SLF are still one of my reference sounds. I think it's a great shame they've often been dismissed as some kind of Clash a' like.

I'd really like to have met them & had a chance to talk a bit, to Jake Burns in particular, as I've always been impressed by what a reasonable & decent person he seems in interviews, & completely not up himself. They were quite an influence on me one way or another.

@historyisjunk

To be honest re the Jam I reckon there is a high probability that it was Weller rather than Buckler and Foxton. I was lucky enough to meet both of them later on in life and they seemed sound to me. The once I briefly met Weller when get autographs he was a bit of a tool.

The last time I saw SLF a few years back I don't remember Henry Cluney being there but beilive he rejoined at some point since, but I maybe out of date. Shame he is not looking so good these days though he used to have a lot of energy on stage.

Up until the mid 90's I pretty much saw SLF most tours and the last one down south was when Dolphin Taylor was on skins.

They are supposedly up here again next year or the one after.

When I saw them last they were still fired up and going for it but less animated, sounded great though and despite the massively loud monitors the overall sound was pretty good. The actual playing was as good as ever TBH.

SLF were in no way a poor mans Clash they had a signature sound and have written some great and well written songs.

The Stranglers are up in February and I am off to that for sure being that they are my all time favourite band.

Jake was a true gent and IME always took time out for the fans, even the last gig up here he and they were the same.

One time Jake remembered me for before, partly aided by the fact I had the biggest fro around outside of a Blaxploitation movie. Being white it made me stand out a wee bit. For a young lad at the time that sort of thing sticks with you for life.

Being so curly it was no use for growing long as it turned into a mushroom cloud, kept me drier for longer in the rain though.

Bands from that era are getting very incestious from a line up POV, we now have Mike Peters singing for Big Country and various others, SLF have had a few over the years too.

All good though and that era had a fair few bands all over the UK using Yammie SG's. I foolishly sold the two I have had over the years.
    :(
    If you lads worked with me I'd never get any work done. I love The Stranglers too Johnny, haven't seen them for many years though. I'm gonna make an effort to see every punk band I can next year. It's my new years resolution!
    I'll maybe be offline for a bit after today so keep the thread warm.
    Will do @Deadman and you are right we would just sit and yarn about old skool punk and do feck all work.

Here's a superb site to check out, if you have seen it before ignore me but it is a bit of a walk down memory lane.

I found out on here that Hugh Cornwell used to play in a band with Richard Thompson a while before the Stranglers. Every day is a learning day is it not?

http://www.punk77.co.uk/linkpage/punkbands.htm

The home page includes US and other places punk bands too.

http://www.punk77.co.uk/

We have been very lucky in the last few years with a fair few form back in the day playing up here these days, so I am seeing a few I admired but never got around to seeing live.
  • SLF were in no way a poor mans Clash they had a signature sound and have written some great and well written songs.

That's exactly my view John, I don't know where this comes from, but I've seen it a few times. Given that Jake in particular was a huge fan & I think counted them as possibly their major influence they might not be that pissed at the comparison, but I think it was rubbish & frankly prefer SLF's sound & material for the most part.

@Deadman, your comment about blethering & not doing any work is also spot on- which is a major reason why I try not to get too into things on here; I'd do no work & never get enough sleep.

Another major Stranglers fan here, was quite obsessed, at least up to LaFolie. Several of my relatively few posts here have been about how JJ Burnel changed the world as far as Bass guitar sound is concerned- at least as far as I'm concerned, but I suspect for many others. I also think Hugh Cornwell was a stunning guitarist, though I think this is not a widely shared opinion.  Have either of you (or others) got/heard Norfolk Coast, which I think is considered a really good return too form record?

Sometime I must get the book about SLF http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8341079-kicking-up-a-racket
    And Hugh's autobiography "A Multitude of Sins"- possibly not a fun read.

Look forward to having a look at those links about early punk stuff. There's some good documentary stuff on YT  inc one about Women in Punk which had some discussions with Gaye Advert & some more prominent people. I like her & TV Smith, think they'd be good to talk to.

Don't want to spin this out too much, but a couple of other names which came to mind while writing this you might remember:-
    The New Town Neurotics- excellent & amusingly slagged off as a SLF a' like (bollocks).
    The Ruts- not my fave songwriters, but they did some great songs like Jah War & the atmosphere of In a Rut still grabs me.
    @historyisjunk

I agree on JJ and Hugh, JJ was an innovator and demon of the bass. High whilst not terribly showy was clever and subtle in his music and song writing.

Read both "a Multitude of Sins" and Kicking Up a Racket" and enjoyed them both. although the former is a bit of an uncomfortable read.

"The Stranglers Song by Song" by Hugh is a good read if slightly biased against JJ, but I believe they are on better terms these days and admit they both were dicks at different times. There are some good JJ interviews online that address it all.

I think BBC4 showed the women in punk thing or summat very similar, seeing the slits, Poly Styrene and all the usual suspects was great and brought a lot of memories flooding back.

I do remember The New Town Neurotics but cannot remember too much about their stuff.

The Ruts however have a great body of work and a unique sound of their own, West One and Staring at the Rude boys remain 2 of my fave Ruts tracks. of course Babylon's Burning, in a Rut and more well known stuff was great too. Loud shit kicking music with intelligent lyrics and some great riffs.

The longer 12" version of West One (shine on me) has a great dub reggae esque vibe in the middle with a bit of sax thrown in for good measure.

Henry Rollins IIRC sang/played with them for a while and what little I did see or hear was great with him in it.