Tremolos for thin bodies?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    The Les Trem (from Duesenberg) has a good rep for tuning stability,
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    ICBM said:
     Does it suffer from the same problems as a Bigsby with restringing?
    The only problem with restringing a Bigsby is wondering what to moan abut after you work out how to do it right and find it's a complete piece of cake :).
    I've never actually had to re-string a guitar with a Bigsby so I don't know exactly how fiddly it really is- is it just a matter of keeping the string taut once you've hooked it on at the bridge?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    Also never having changed strings on a Bigsby - I'd assume the "right" way was using the same method as a non-locking floating trem (Floyd-Rose, Kahler etc) - keep it under some tension, and as close to mid-point as possible.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I've never actually had to re-string a guitar with a Bigsby so I don't know exactly how fiddly it really is- is it just a matter of keeping the string taut once you've hooked it on at the bridge?
    The real trick is to pre-bend the ball end into a sharp curve so it stays hooked on the pin with only the slightest amount of tension on the string (or even none). If you do that it's easy. Most people who find it difficult don't realise you need to do that, so the ball is always trying to pop off, leading to faffing around with capos, bulldog clips, pencil rubbers and other stuff.

The Les Trem is really easy, the strings just go through a slot so you don't need to do that.

For what it's worth the Les Trem II is much better than the original version, it doesn't wobble the studs as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NeedsMoreChilliNeedsMoreChilli Frets: 1
    edited April 2016
    Les Trem is another alternative. Replaces a standard TOM stopbar, no body routing required. No good for dive-bombing though, it's more of a gentle Bigsby style trem. Here's one on my '92 Hohner SE-35:

That's cool @NeedsMoreChilli. Don't mean to derail the thread (sorry @Sporky)- how's tuning stability with that? Does it suffer from the same problems as a Bigsby with restringing? Did you change the TOM bridge for a roller-style one too? If so, was it as one job when fitting the Les Trem or after bitter experience?
    Tuning stability is great (as long as the nut & bridge are well set up, and you have locking tuners or use a locking string wind). Restringing is dead easy - as @ICBM says, the strings just drop in from the top, no fiddling with rollers & pins :). I fitted the roller bridge after much disappointment with clicks & pops coming from the standard TOM.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2644
    I'm thinking of a Les Trem for my Manta Ray which is currently mid re-finishing. I like Bigsby's but they cost a lot...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    Les Trem is another alternative. Replaces a standard TOM stopbar, no body routing required. No good for dive-bombing though, it's more of a gentle Bigsby style trem. Here's one on my '92 Hohner SE-35:

That's cool @NeedsMoreChilli. Don't mean to derail the thread (sorry @Sporky)- how's tuning stability with that? Does it suffer from the same problems as a Bigsby with restringing? Did you change the TOM bridge for a roller-style one too? If so, was it as one job when fitting the Les Trem or after bitter experience?
    Tuning stability is great (as long as the nut & bridge are well set up, and you have locking tuners or use a locking string wind). Restringing is dead easy - as @ICBM says, the strings just drop in from the top, no fiddling with rollers & pins :). I fitted the roller bridge after much disappointment with clicks & pops coming from the standard TOM.
    So best to budget for a roller bridge if I get a Les Trem then.

It looks like the arm sticks out a long way from the body. Is that adjustable?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• NeedsMoreChilliNeedsMoreChilli Frets: 1
    edited April 2016
    It looks like the arm sticks out a long way from the body. Is that adjustable?
    Yup. A wee grub screw lets you position the arm as close to the body as you like.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    I think it's very cruel that you've all been quoting the bit with @sporky in it - I keep getting notifications!

All good though - other people's experiences are useful to know about.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've got a Les Trem ii for sale, model TM85N nickel for £50 posted if anyone is interested - never been on a guitar so its all as new and the fittings are still sealed in the plastic bag in the box.
    That's jolly tempting. PM incoming!
  • I really like the Ibanez s series body idea - crazy thin at the edge, but a bit thicker where it counts. It's very light, very ergonomic and the guitars sound very good.

But this sounds like a cool project nonetheless. Would like to keep posted.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Sporky;1052722" said:
    I think it's very cruel that you've all been quoting the bit with @sporky in it - I keep getting notifications!

All good though - other people's experiences are useful to know about.
    Sorry, won't do it again

:D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Les Trem incoming then. I think I'll use Sporkaster 5 as the donor; the neck ended up too thin so it's a bit unstable, but it has a roller bridge, a pair of TV Jones 'buckers and some decent locking tuners - all left handed because I'm a thicko, so it'll have a reverse headstock. I've already drawn an offset singlecut shape I like and I have ample stocks of timber so this should go OK.
    The plan has changed a little; I've ordered some Lace Alumitones for this build. I'm partway through the CAD work but wondering about trying a neck-through.
    And the Alumitones have arrived.

They're very pretty.