Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yamaha buys Line6

What's Hot
shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
edited December 2013 in FX

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    Jinkies. 

I have much love for Yam. I hope they do some cool stuff with L6. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    I see this as *mostly good*.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    That's a bit unexpected - I really like the yamaha modelling gear (Thr at home,dg stomp for rehearsing and would love a dg amp), I've had a lot of line 6 gear and it hasn't lasted that long.

Hopefully the next generation of products will be special with yamaha influencing the line6 technology.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8628
    Interesting. I hope that Line 6 technology doesn't influence Yamaha too much, I consider Yamaha better at the modelling game than Line 6.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Wow. Didn't see that coming!

If they come up with Yamaha digital guitars incorporating a blend of Line6 modelling and Yamaha synthesis it could really give Roland some proper competition.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• This could turn out to be very interesting. L6 seems to have been treading water quite a while in terms of guitar gear - for example the M13 needs a replacement.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    It's possible they cut back on R&D spending to make the balance sheet look better if they were going for an acquisition. 
  • http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/yamaha-acquires-line-6/018410

"The Japanese giant will continue to operate Line 6 as a wholly owned subsidiary and will retain the current management team at the firm"

Could be a very good thing for Line 6 products I think.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    dindude said:
    Interesting. I hope that Line 6 technology doesn't influence Yamaha too much, I consider Yamaha better at the modelling game than Line 6.
    Er .. it's the other way round. This has been on the cards for years as Line 6 has been flat-lining. I'm a big Steinberg user and since Yamaha took over the company the R&D has been stepped up, the quality improved to the point where Cubase is probably the best DAW at its price point. Hopefully they'll do the same for Line 6.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8628
    Fretwired said:
    dindude said:
    Er .. it's the other way round. This has been on the cards for years as Line 6 has been flat-lining. I'm a big Steinberg user and since Yamaha took over the company the R&D has been stepped up, the quality improved to the point where Cubase is probably the best DAW at its price point. Hopefully they'll do the same for Line 6.
    You misunderstood me. I get that Yamaha are doing the buying!, but often companies do this to get a fast track to tech they haven't yet got, so my thoughts were that yamaha digital tech may well now  come through the line 6 channel from here on in when they've proved they pretty good at it anyway.
    dindude said:
    Fretwired said:
    dindude said:
    You misunderstood me. I get that Yamaha are doing the buying!, but often companies do this to get a fast track to tech they haven't yet got, so my thoughts were that yamaha digital tech may well now  come through the line 6 channel from here on in when they've proved they pretty good at it anyway.
    OK - I see what you're saying. I don't think that will be the case. Yamaha have purchased quite a few companies and have tended to work the other way round. Steinberg now has access to Yamaha technology for their interfaces and the sounds from Yamaha's synths have been incorporated into Steinberg's soft synths. I was close to dumping Cubase until Yamaha came along. Steinberg is going from strength to strength. Line 6 is a global brand. I can see Yamaha rationalising the product range [too many products] and maybe providing funds to take on the Axe FX. Line 6's audio interfaces are long in the tooth - I expect a new range based on Yamaha's pro audio technology. I see this as a win for the consumer.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28018
    edited December 2013
    I think that the pertinent question in all this is, "What do Line6 have that Yamaha wants so badly?"

All I can think is "market share", and possibly a bit of the technology.

EDIT: Frankly, though I'd rather they'd bought Zoom and given Line6 et al a bloody nose. Zoom's digital tech is fuggin' great, and there's so much potential there it's unreal. If they'd combined that with Yamaha's build quality and engineering, they'd be unstoppable.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think that the pertinent question in all this is, "What do Line6 have that Yamaha wants so badly?"

All I can think is "market share", and possibly a bit of the technology.

EDIT: Frankly, though I'd rather they'd bought Zoom and given Line6 et al a bloody nose. Zoom's digital tech is fuggin' great, and there's so much potential there it's unreal. If they'd combined that with Yamaha's build quality and engineering, they'd be unstoppable.
    Line 6 is a great brand with a loyal user base and is a US company. Buying Zoom makes no sense for Yamaha. Backed by Yamaha Line 6 can dominate the modelling world.

• I agree about the audio interfaces, the L6 ones are getting very old now. It's a real surprise that that L6 hasn't released a software version of PODHD for its audio interfaces too. There seems a lack of synergy across its products that Yamaha would do well to correct.

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Looking forward to what comes of this, it could be well awesome.

Anyone for an SG 2000 with a new gen of Variax guts onboard with mag pups?
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    edited December 2013
    Bit early for April Fool or the link is shot :) Ah the link is shot
    http://line6.com/news/pressReleases/1520

• I'd just like an updated DL4. And better switches on stuff.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires