Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yamaha buys Line6

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    threads merged
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd like a Spider Jam updated with THR modelling quality.
  • Islandape;110993" said:
    I'd like a Spider Jam updated with THR modelling quality.
    Islandape;110993" said:
    A giggable thr would be a contender against blackstar. Line 6 also have access to Bognor valve power amps.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I pretty sure a raft of products will be culled including the Spider Jam. It's based on old Spider III technology. Even the Spider IV amps are getting long in the tooth. It would make sense for Line 6 to dump everything not associated with its HD models and build new tech around them - they are rather good for the money.

A Yamaha Pacifica with Variax modelling could be cool ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    I'd just like an updated DL4. And better switches on stuff.
    The Looper on the DL4 is actually brilliant'y conceived- but only has 11 seconds of recording.

If they put 30-60 seconds of recording in there and changed NOTHING else, it would be a creative powerhouse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    Islandape said:
    And me :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    octatonic said:
    The Looper on the DL4 is actually brilliant'y conceived- but only has 11 seconds of recording.
    22 if you set it to half speed first :).

I'd like one that doesn't break or crash, doesn't suck tone in an FX loop, and was smaller...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8628
    Fretwired said:

OK - I see what you're saying. I don't think that will be the case. Yamaha have purchased quite a few companies and have tended to work the other way round. 
    I hope this turns out to be true.
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    Fretwired said:
    I think that the pertinent question in all this is, "What do Line6 have that Yamaha wants so badly?"

All I can think is "market share", and possibly a bit of the technology.

EDIT: Frankly, though I'd rather they'd bought Zoom and given Line6 et al a bloody nose. Zoom's digital tech is fuggin' great, and there's so much potential there it's unreal. If they'd combined that with Yamaha's build quality and engineering, they'd be unstoppable.
    Line 6 is a great brand with a loyal user base and is a US company. Buying Zoom makes no sense for Yamaha. Backed by Yamaha Line 6 can dominate the modelling world.
    The way I see Line 6 is too much gear and not enough software updates so perhaps now things will change hopefully 
    [-O<

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I thought it was odd that Line6 haven't brought out many new products lately, wonder how long this deal has been brewing. Hopefully Yamaha can bring some more build quality/reliability and better value to Line6
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    shuikit said:
    I thought it was odd that Line6 haven't brought out many new products lately ..
    That's not strictly true .. HD product range upgraded with new amp models and the HDX range, StageSource speaker range, StageScape mixer, new Variax guitars, DT amp range ... the problem is too many products and a lack of focus.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    This is exciting! I shall be watching with interest!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Loved my old dg stomp back in the day, it would be great if they'd do something like that again.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I always wanted Line 6 to bring out an add on pickup plus modelling preamp, so I could get Variax modelling through my own guitar. If they were willing to do that, then I'd be interested. 
  • Fretwired said:
    A Yamaha Pacifica with Variax modelling could be cool ...
    Of course I don't have access to sales figures, but I can't help thinking that Line 6 shot themselves in the foot by killing off the low-budget Variaxes. The 300 competed in the same market as Squier and Epiphone, the Tyler instruments are nearly three times the cost which takes them well out of the doting parent or impoverished student market. Having an entry level instrument and an upper range means you can get customers early in their playing career and they can aspire to the more expensive instruments. See Squire/Fender, Epiphone/Gibson, and in the bass world, Tanglewater/Overwater.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Does this mean we might see a THR built into a Pedal, or Pod?
  • Good luck to them. It's a competitive world out there, didn't see this one coming at all. It's either a match made in heaven or a train-wreck waiting to fall off the rails. Agree with those who said Yam's modelling is better than L6... should be interesting!