WTF have I done now? Loud pickup...

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3107
edited April 2016 in Making & Modding
So the white Strat I put together was always intended to be wired standard Strat style, but as the bridge pickup had fault it was temporarily wired Neck, neck middle, bridge through a Tele 3 way switch with a SC size humbucker at the bridge and all was well...bear with, I'm getting there.....
so the original bridge SC came back from the supplier and so the whole mess got rewired, this time Standard vintage Strat style, for the first time ever my wiring is tidy and worked first time, however the neck pickup is significantly louder, not just bassier, louder than all the other selections on the 5 way, the neck pup was fine previously and balanced well with the others, so, what can I possibly have done? Adjusting pickup height makes no real difference....
This is the wiring diagram I followed......

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I donno, but it's common sense if you follow the wires and understand switch contacts.  Has the bridge pickups bypassed the pots?

The key really is understanding the switch contacts.  You'll work it out.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Are your solder joints nice and shiny for all the pickups?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73070
    Sounds like a partial short or some other wiring mistake in the middle/bridge tone control.

Although I can't see why this should be the cause, I also wouldn't use "50s" wiring on a Strat - Fender never used "50s" wiring even in the 50s, it's a Gibson scheme. Connect both 'red' terminals on the switch to each other and then to the volume pot top terminal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3107
    Interesting about the wiring diagram @ICBM, shows you should never assume, as Abe Lincoln said, " Some things on the net are not true!"
    Looks like I'll be pulling it apart again......best Google standard Strat wiring, now, wheres my solder sucker?.........
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73070
    You don't need to pull it all apart, just move the red wire that goes from the switch to the volume pot middle terminal - undo it at the volume pot and connect it to the top terminal instead.

While you're at it, temporarily disconnect the yellow wire that goes to the Tone 2 pot and see if the pickup problem goes away. It must be something like that since it happens in all four positions that tone control is engaged.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein