Fixing stripped set screws?

What's Hot
Anybody know of a quick and dirty way to fix a stripped set screw in a knob? Or at least to get a knob with a stripped set screw to go on to a pot shaft and stay there?

I bought some cheap barrel knobs off eBay and out of a pack of 10 at least three are unusable because the set screws aren't binding. They were dirt cheap and took forever to arrive from China so I'd rather not go through all the rigmarole of re-ordering, refunds etc. if I can do something to fix them myself.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73070
    Araldite.

You didn't say you want to be able to get them off again…

;)

If you don't want to do that, you may have to get some larger diameter grub screws and tap out the knobs for them, but it's quite a faff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    LOL/Wisdom dilemma.

Fair comment. I've got more knobs than I need so will have a think about where they're going to go and decide whether the Final Solution is going to work. I suspect that if I tap out for wider screws I'll end up with the same problem again if the issue is the material the knobs are made of. 

Buy cheap, buy twice :(

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8849
    If tapping it for a larger screw doesn't work then you could drill an even larger hole and glue or solder in a nut
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom