SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

A 10'' Speaker to upgrade my Laney LC15R

What's Hot
A Celestion G10 or a Jensen C10 R or a ???

Needs to be 8ohm...

Cheers,

Duncan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    I've been looking at 10" speaker reviews. I've recently acquired a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb which has a Celestion Ten Thirty.  I was wondering whether to get something a bit more "American" sounding i.e. more scooped mid-range to give the classic Fender sound.

It depends on whether you want a "British" sound or an "American" sound.  It also depends what style you play.  Jensens can get very farty in the low end.  You wouldn't want to be playing chuggy power chords with a C10R.

For "American" style speakers WGS seem to get very good reviews, but they make some more "British" sounding ones as well.  Celestion are the obvious option for "British" style sounds.

There are comparison videos on Youtube that might help - although most of them are for Princeton style amps, or 2 x 10 Fender configuations.
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 294
    The celestion greenbacks 10s are excellent, IMO
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The Celestion ten thirty is pretty much a budget speaker and to me sounded fairly harsh and one dimensional.

My personal shopping list would have an Eminence Ragin Cajun, Celestion G10 Vintage and Celestion G10 Greenback at the top.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Richardj said:
    The Celestion ten thirty is pretty much a budget speaker and to me sounded fairly harsh and one dimensional.

My personal shopping list would have an Eminence Ragin Cajun, Celestion G10 Vintage and Celestion G10 Greenback at the top.

I don't want to derail the OP's thread too much as he's not looking at a Princeton but I would agree that the ten thirty has something a little harsh about it on my experience so far.  I got it second hand but I know the amp has had very little use, so I don't think it's properly broken in yet.  I might leave it for a month or two to see how it breaks in.

If I do change it then the WGS speakers do look very good.  The G10C gets excellent reviews and isn't a stupid price.  I might go for the Veteran 10 though.  The Rajin Cajun has been around for several years and gets decent reviews.  If you want Alnico without spending a fortune the Eminence 1028 Legend might be worth a try.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    FWIW Watford Valves do a couple of LC15R upgrade kits (speaker and valves). They have the Celestion G10 in the more expensive kit and a Celestion Vintage 10 in the cheaper kit.
    I know some people have had a poor time with Watford Valves but I've used them once a couple of years ago and thought their customer service was really good. I placed an order and thirty minutes later they called me up to check I was getting the right thing and then everything arrived the next day. Anyway, point was that's their speaker recommendations.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • vertigo88vertigo88 Frets: 12
    I ordered a Celestion G10 Greenback from Hotrox, really looking forward to it arriving, should make a nice wee combo when it's here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom