Single pick up strat

What's Hot
birdobirdo Frets: 24
edited April 2016 in Making & Modding
I ve got a bit of a quirky strat ( ex jooky then re sprayed as war of worlds and fitted with Texas specials ) . Thing is I tend to think if I wanted a 3 pickup strat I should have a standard one. So I thinking about converting it to a single humbucker that splits or single p90 . There seem plenty of pick up options from oil city but putting it in to a scratch plate and doing the correct wiring is maybe a bit beyond me. First off is this a good idea ? Secondly any pick up suggestions and thirdly is the wiring and scratch plate as tricky as I fear or is there someone who would do this for me. http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/Jlb7720/image_zps96b98cc8.jpg This is the guitar in question .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do all three options- fit a Seymour Duncan P-rails pickup. HB, P90 and single coil in one HB sized bundle of fun.
    I don't imagine that wiring it would be too difficult- take your time and follow a CLEAR schematic diagram (if you post it on here I'm sure folk will happily check it for you). 

I converted my telecaster to an Eldred Esquire with no previous soldering experience & it worked (after some tinkering) so I have faith in EVERYONE else's ability to do similar things.

Good luck
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Probably worth checking (if you haven't already)that the body is routed for a full sized humbucker
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    It's got , I think they call it, a swimming pool route. Basically tons of room for most things.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    birdo;1054154" said:
    It's got , I think they call it, a swimming pool route. Basically tons of room for most things.
    Right then you're Golden, let's do this !

Ok so for nothing too high gain, just mainly cleans to a bit of bluesy crunch. Is a split able humbucker the way to go. I do want the option of a couple of tones . Although the idea of something gretsch like in there might be quite cool.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28038
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That looks fantastic. What does the mini toggle do and how does it sound?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    Yes. That was my first thought. Apparently it's in Nashville tuning. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16418
    The Fender custom shop Luchador has Gretsch like TV Jones pick ups and there is a one pick up version. Strat outline, although not all the contours IIRC. Not everyone's cuppa but cool looking guitars to me.
    birdo;1054978" said:
    Ok so for nothing too high gain, just mainly cleans to a bit of bluesy crunch. Is a split able humbucker the way to go. I do want the option of a couple of tones . Although the idea of something gretsch like in there might be quite cool.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    Changing the subject just a bit, looking at the original picture of the Strat I see it has graphics of the War the Worlds tripods or aliens. Last week I went to see Jeff Waynes War of the World's the musical at the Dominion Theatre absolutely brilliant, if you want a good night's entertainment then go and see this. If you can, try and get seats near the front of the stage as when the explosions come the flames appear all along the front of the stage it so hot it nearly singes your eyebrows. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28038
    birdo said:
    That looks fantastic. What does the mini toggle do and how does it sound?
    The p'up is a DiMarzio P90-sized HB.

Because the body is so thin, I didn't have the depth for a push/pull pot, so I used a mini toggle to coil-split the p'up.

Then I sold the p'up, so it's currently rather sound-less!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    GSPBASSES said:
    Changing the subject just a bit, looking at the original picture of the Strat I see it has graphics of the War the Worlds tripods or aliens. Last week I went to see Jeff Waynes War of the World's the musical at the Dominion Theatre absolutely brilliant, if you want a good night's entertainment then go and see this. If you can, try and get seats near the front of the stage as when the explosions come the flames appear all along the front of the stage it so hot it nearly singes your eyebrows. 
    I saw it at Sheffield Arena years ago. Justin Hayward was on stage for pretty much exactly as long as it took to sing that one song, and I about pissed myself laughing when the war machine descended from the lighting rig. Stoooone henge!!

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    I did my wonky Strat with a HB sized P90....loved it!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4220
    Just stick a P90 pickup in it with Vol and tone, you don't need anything else! HB's are for girls....... %-(