Worst musicianship on an album ever?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    What a great thread!  Never heard of most of the bands (except The Shaggs) but I'm actually enjoying some of these songs.

Maybe not the worst ever but I remember being given a ropey cassette of this to learn by my old bass player - and it left a permanent scar on my memory.

Bruce Baxter Orchestra recording of the Hawaii Five-O theme - I think they must have been down the pub in their lunch break.

"What does this little box do? Ooooh, fuzz guitar - how difficult can that be?" 
    >:D<

What a fucking awesome guitar solo!  Reminded me of a weird little homemade headphone amp I ordered from a small ad in the back of Melody Maker, around 1982.  It would eat through a 9V battery in a couple of hours, and just before the battery died it would sound exactly like that solo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    Philly_Q said:
    What a great thread!  Never heard of most of the bands (except The Shaggs) but I'm actually enjoying some of these songs.
    Likewise - I'd rather listen to any of these than a typical pub blues band.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @tabbycat That was intense stuff, quite enjoyed it. Reminded me of The Fall for some reason.
    Actually The Fall should be mentioned as they wrote some shockers.

@Equalsql Yeah, that was pretty bad. Couldnt bare to listen to that twice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM that Talula gosh was horrendus!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5129
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    John and yoko - the wedding album
    Lou reed - metal machine music
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Likewise - I'd rather listen to any of these than a typical pub blues band.
    Same here - I don't mean "worst musicianship" as a put-down, I usually enjoy this kind of thing where the songs and the fun of doing it are more important than the technical ability of the players.

The opposite - brilliant technicians playing boring music which appears to be nothing more than a means to show off their abilities - is probably the type of music I dislike the most. Which doesn't mean you can't have great music played by brilliant technicians, either, and I like some of that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Anybody know if The Shaggs are looking for a guitar player..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    ICBM said:
    Same here - I don't mean "worst musicianship" as a put-down, I usually enjoy this kind of thing where the songs and the fun of doing it are more important than the technical ability of the players.
    Exactly! And at the same time I can see why some people dislike this sort of thing almost by default.
    The opposite - brilliant technicians playing boring music which appears to be nothing more than a means to show off their abilities - is probably the type of music I dislike the most.
    And again.
    Which doesn't mean you can't have great music played by brilliant technicians, either, and I like some of that...
    And thricely. I've nothing against those with good technical and theory skills, but with great power comes great responsibility and all that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvB3VcSeCLk

Actually rather splendid.

8-}
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31121
    Al di Meola, Paca de Lucia and John MacLaughlin - One Night in San Francisco.

Flash in the pan widdle.

Shocking playing.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited April 2016
    @tabbycat That was intense stuff, quite enjoyed it. Reminded me of The Fall for some reason.
    Actually The Fall should be mentioned as they wrote some shockers.
    hey @starwarsnosebleed it's curious (or kurious, as in Oranj) you should mention the fall, as my shortlist for that post was bette davis or spectre vs rector by the fall. i could think of a million good-bad things, but those two seemed to me to be particularly 'good bad' for the purposes of illustration.

re good-bad, was lucky enough to see the fall a few times in the 80s and weirdly, by the second half of that decade (nation' saving grace, etc), they were actually one of the tightest (in their own way) live bands i have even seen. i was almost disappointed that they were so tight as i had grown up with the chaotic early stuff (slates, perverted, hex), but by 'saving grace' they were as solid and strictly regulated and unstoppable as a one of smith's imaginary dark satanic mills.

as peel said on inumerable occasions "always the same, always different... the fall".

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7890
    edited April 2016
    I was surprised how crappy this solo is considering it's a classic.

Maybe hippies had never heard of Jimi Hendrix, Albert King, John Mclaughlin or Johnny Smith
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I was surprised how crappy this solo is considering it's a classic.

Maybe hippies had never heard of Jimi Hendrix, Albert King, John Mclaughlin or Johnny Smith
    Wasn't the solo supposed to be his take on John Coltrane?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • My most loved band are Melvins.

As much as i love them (not so much the recent stuff) they have had a hand in a few heinous atrocities since thier birth in 1983.

Here is 'Hogleg' from the Eggnog ep, the rest of the is is great, but the vocals on this song are hard to stomach.

Sorry Melvins.

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Can't really decide whether this is intentional as there are moments of genius. Absolutely love them though, I'd always rather listen to well written basic song than an amazingly technical 5 minutes of pointless widdle

Stop crying, start buying
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31121
    It's not often an OP just nails it, but in terms of horrendousness, this is world class.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    moldy peaches are like a new millennium version of the shaggs. same sort of gleeful ineptitude, same earnest teenage diary lyrics.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    equalsql said:
    The benchmark for bad playing without a doubt 
    :))

I know I should find that horrifying, but for some reason I can't stop laughing at it.  I've played it twice now. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Do vocalists count as musicians and if so can they ruin an album's musicality? 

If yes, then actually, there's a lot of terrible musicianship out there. 

To name a few:
    - Johnny Cash
    - Lou Reed x1,000,000 (including that god-awful Metallica collaboration)

And so many, many, many more.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/