Walnut strat build

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Looks beautiful :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    dchwhite said:
    Looks beautiful :)
    Cheers! :)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Great stuff mate. I swore off building another guitar now I'm off looking for a neck!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Great stuff mate. I swore off building another guitar now I'm off looking for a neck!
    Thank you very much! I thought I'd built my last guitar until I happened upon Jooky selling that nice bit of strat-shaped walnut, and the bug struck again... One is never safe!  :D
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Megii said:
    Cheers - all the better if it is rock'n'roll. :) I certainly like the look anyhow - it's done to my kind of taste, obviously. No hope trying to understand the wiring from the photo! Green wires everywhere as you say. :D  I will post my somewhat rudimentary diagram of what I think I've done below, in case it helps anyone kind enough to be interested in helping.

Ah, yes I do remember that one. Here's my attempt at tracing (apologies to the colour-blind), though I'm not quite sure about the ones going into the toggle switch. Actually, if I've drawn it right it looks like they're wired across the switch, but it's a bit obscured either way and anyway in that configuration it would just turn the tap on/off. I originally thought one blend lead was going to ground, but I see that's actually the jack earth lead.
    Can't see anything wrong. If taking the blend pot out doesn't reveal anything other things I'd check would be whether the problem occurs in all pickup positions (particularly the solo coil ones) and with the toggle on/off (well, I'd check that before taking the blend out). With the blend disconnected it should also be pretty simple to change either the volume to tap side of the wafer switch only or just connect the output hot direct to the tap side, to check the tapped output is what it should be. While I had it open I'd also grab a multimeter and check the pickup connections are what I think they should be (I noticed the white=half, yellow=full note on the packet, but people can make mistakes).
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1814
    Lovely walnut build got to get back to mine after bodging the last few coats and starting to sand back to the wood before we lost the weather last year. Just need some nice weather to sit on the patio and sand it back to bare wood and start again. My favourite form of relaxation.
    imalone said:
    Megii said:
    Cheers - all the better if it is rock'n'roll. :) I certainly like the look anyhow - it's done to my kind of taste, obviously. No hope trying to understand the wiring from the photo! Green wires everywhere as you say. :D  I will post my somewhat rudimentary diagram of what I think I've done below, in case it helps anyone kind enough to be interested in helping.

Ah, yes I do remember that one. Here's my attempt at tracing (apologies to the colour-blind), though I'm not quite sure about the ones going into the toggle switch. Actually, if I've drawn it right it looks like they're wired across the switch, but it's a bit obscured either way and anyway in that configuration it would just turn the tap on/off. I originally thought one blend lead was going to ground, but I see that's actually the jack earth lead.
    Can't see anything wrong. If taking the blend pot out doesn't reveal anything other things I'd check would be whether the problem occurs in all pickup positions (particularly the solo coil ones) and with the toggle on/off (well, I'd check that before taking the blend out). With the blend disconnected it should also be pretty simple to change either the volume to tap side of the wafer switch only or just connect the output hot direct to the tap side, to check the tapped output is what it should be. While I had it open I'd also grab a multimeter and check the pickup connections are what I think they should be (I noticed the white=half, yellow=full note on the packet, but people can make mistakes).
    Do appreciate all your suggestions, thank you - some good ideas, and cheers for taking the time also. Not at all easy to see what is happening from that picture - and wasn't really posting it for that reason, but appreciate that you had a go anyhow. I did test the pickup outputs with a multi-meter prior to installing them, and all seemed as it should be. Will check again anyhow - hope I haven't damaged one somehow - don't think so anyway, I was very careful with them.  There is an answer to all this I'm certain, so will get there in the end! :)
    Lovely walnut build got to get back to mine after bodging the last few coats and starting to sand back to the wood before we lost the weather last year. Just need some nice weather to sit on the patio and sand it back to bare wood and start again. My favourite form of relaxation.
    Cheers Jez - it is a good form of relaxation I agree, kind of a therapy for me in fact.  Best of luck with your own current build! :)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Fit as fuck. Seriously good work.
    Evilmags said:
    Fit as fuck. Seriously good work.
    Cheers!  :)
  • That does look gorgeous. Well done.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    One of the nicest Strats I've ever clapped eyes on. Hats off to you.
    Kind of you to say @koneguitarist and @Deadman - thanks muchly chaps!  :)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2181
    That is a lovely guitar sir! Fingers crossed I can get my strat painted in the next week or two.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    DrJazzTap said:
    That is a lovely guitar sir! Fingers crossed I can get my strat painted in the next week or two.
    Sorry Dr Jazz - didn't see this until now, but thank you for saying nice things - am watching your own strat project take shape with interest. :)