String-through ferrules... What goes on the top?

What's Hot
What do people use for the top of the holes in string-through bodies?  Ferrules for the back are obviously readily available, but I'm not sure about the top...

I could make a metal plate with holes, and make sure they're well rounded so as not to chop the strings.  The tidiest string-through designs I've seen just seem to have another set of ferrules in the top of the holes, but I'd imagine that would make it hard to get the strings through if they were the same as the bottom ferrules (i.e. small hole for the string to pass through).  Are there official "top ferrules" or some other source of flanged tubes that would work?  The cigar box guitar kit I built earlier came with some that would be ideal (just simple flanged tubes) but I can't seem to find a source of them.

And while I'm asking about ferrules - the Telecaster type ones seem to come in 4mm or 5mm.  Is there any reason to use one or the other or would they both work equally well with normal ball-ended strings?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16978
    string ferrules - you can get smaller  ones for the top
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Guitar-string-top-Mouting-ferrules-SF4-SF5-/140701635526?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

although now I think back, they never used to be so easy to get.  I remember using string ball ends for the same purpose on a few early guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @WezV.  I feel a muppet now, I'm sure I searched for "guitar string ferrules top" and missed those  :\">

Is there any reason to go for 4mm or 5mm if I haven't drilled the holes yet?
    edited May 2016
    I would only really go for the larger ones if you are making something that needs to fit bigger strings.

edit - just noticed  the string hole is wider on the smaller ferrule - i would still go for the smaller one as  its less intrusive

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks again :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73089
    I think this is God's way of telling you that string-through designs with a tune-o-matic or any other bridge that isn't like a Tele or another hardtail Fender are an abomination.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Well look away then @ICBM ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29190
    ICBM said:
    I think this is God's way of telling you that string-through designs with a tune-o-matic [snip] are an abomination.
    I like abominations. How do you feel about recessed TOMs?

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/builds/sp5/finished.jpg
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Yuck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Yuck.

Oh my. Do we disagree for once? That's a sexy guitar. Though I don't like string through so much on tom bridges as I once did.
    I don't mind the overall guitar too much, but I really detest string-through/tune-o-matic, especially with oversized ferrules like that. I'm not keen on the bitty design of the pickguard around the volume control either, or the headstock.

I don't have a problem with the recessed tune-o-matic by itself though.

All personal taste of course...

ICBM said:
    I don't mind the overall guitar too much, but I really detest string-through/tune-o-matic, especially with oversized ferrules like that. I'm not keen on the bitty design of the pickguard around the volume control either, or the headstock.
    So I shouldn't expect an order from you any time soon? :D
    ICBM;1059229" said:

I don't have a problem with the recessed tune-o-matic by itself though.

All personal taste of course...
    I agree about the oversize top ferrules. But other than that I think sporky has a really nice design there. Its clean and modern with an offset vintage vibe. Works for me

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    To be fair, had I known where to get smaller ferrules I'd have used smaller ferrules. And a bigger headstock with the right-way-'round tuners.

The scratchplate is impeccable though.
  • Eek - I seem to have started a fight.

Well, mine's going to be string-through anyway :)