Buying/selling VSTs?

What's Hot
I don't mind paying for downloadable software, including individual VSTs. Same goes for iPad apps.

But I'm a bit confused about whether (where?) I can I buy/sell used VSTs and other plug-ins? Unless I've missed it, there doesn't seem a way to do this. Is it possible by uninstalling and then selling on the licence key/etc?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    It depends on the company, there are sometimes license transfer fees. These should be on the website somewhere
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33847
    It depends on the company, there are sometimes license transfer fees. These should be on the website somewhere
    Yup.

Some companies, like Waves, make it difficult to sell licenses- high cost of transfer and a convoluted process.

iLok licenses used to cost $25 per license to transfer- not sure what it costs now.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26757
    octatonic said:
    Some companies, like Waves, make it difficult to sell licenses- high cost of transfer and a convoluted process.

Then you get others, like FXpansion, who make it blindingly easy to transfer licences - for example, I bought BFD2 from Drew and then an upgrade to BFD3, and it took a few minutes to complete the process.
    <space for hire>
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6195
    Thanks  - looks like I need to do some research.

The thing about hardware GAS is that it's easy to move things on, and i f you buy used stuff, you can often buy/sell with no loss. Software GAS looks like a good way to make me poor! :(
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I buit Native Intruments Komplete Ultimate on line, ebay. THe previous owner just de registered himself from the licence and I intalled and reg'd fine. You just need ot make sure they wipe the licence or reg first.

Never come across ones that don't work yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    goldtop said:
    I don't mind paying for downloadable software, including individual VSTs. Same goes for iPad apps.

But I'm a bit confused about whether (where?) I can I buy/sell used VSTs and other plug-ins? Unless I've missed it, there doesn't seem a way to do this. Is it possible by uninstalling and then selling on the licence key/etc?
    I've bought and sold loads of plugins. Some companies are easier to deal with than others. A few are now trying to create an automated process with licence transfers (Native Instruments being one). 

eBay is one selling/buying option. Most of mine have come through the marketplace at KVR. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6195
    Thanks guys. I'm maybe trying Korg Gadget and a nice big piano, so will get looking.