Strymon Timeline - is it really that good?

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
Still on a delay pedal journey..... Really want one pedal that covers lots of ground, and yweakability useful too. I liked the Boss dd500 but not enough to keep......thinking Strymon Timeline for present options and analogue dry through. Memory Man deluxe 1100 looks great but £600!! + limited sound options....even if it's great. Considered the Source Audio Nemesis...Strymon still seems to hold them all at slight bay....all considered. Any thoughts....greatly appreciated. Ta muchly Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    DMM 1100tt didn't do it for me. You can get the DD500 to sound exactly like it, oh and 600 is way too much now they have rereleased them with the xvivd chips. 300 tops. Andertons have them for 280 

What didn't you like about the boss? that might help.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31120
    No. I find it horrenously processed but I'm in a minority of 1.

Things I like:

Chrono (does everything believe me)
    FlightTime
    DD500

or a TC2290 or an MXR System II rack.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    Probably jumpily sold dd500 before getting used to its features. Don't like loads of options - tech puts me off and prefer old school simplicity - MMDelu e at £280 looks great to me. Think I want options and presets galore, but probably prefer one top sound!! Awkward customer! Probably would go for two delay pedals but tap tempo is a winner for me.
    edited May 2016
    JonHosker said:
    Probably jumpily sold dd500 before getting used to its features. Don't like loads of options - tech puts me off and prefer old school simplicity - MMDelu e at £280 looks great to me. Think I want options and presets galore, but probably prefer one top sound!! Awkward customer! Probably would go for two delay pedals but tap tempo is a winner for me.
    Through LJ20? DMM, for sure. It fits.

One real beauty that's not often sung here for those tones is the Analogman ADXR20. Superb and very DMM but better made.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    if you want a great delay with a great sound the Analogman ARDX20 is awesome for £120 - £200
    If you want something better that can do a lot more the Moog Moogerfooger mf104m is a beast

Chase bliss have a delay on the horizon that might be worth checking out.

Even the carbon copy can be worth a punt
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigRedOneBigRedOne Frets: 68
    I didn't think I would need a delay as broad as the Timeline, but its got such a good range of features and having all the preset options has won me over.  I find the analog delay emulation to be very good (I A/B'd it against the Analogman ADRX20 I had), and the Trem, Swell & Reverse to be very useful - the tape emulation is alright, but not as good as the el capistan (which is odd).

Its worth noting that if you want to edit the presets on a computer you will need a midi interface - but once its set up its super quick and easy to do.
    Yep - Analogueman ARDX20 great but £120-200? Where from?? Think Memory Man, Chrono or A/man pedals just suit me. I don't want fiddly over processed preset overload.....I am getting there...Probably decide this weekend as really missing delay in my sound!!!! Very helpful....Jon
    edited May 2016
    @jonhosker

Regarding the convo on other thread re LJ20 as a pedal platform, and bearing in mind I've had one, I'd go analogue for the delay.

The Chrono is the best of both worlds- it does digital brilliantly and does analogue well. But it still  has ADDA convertors in it and I don't the ADRDX20 has. The ADDA's are not where I'd respectfully suggest you need to be.

Knowing that you're going to have a great organic dirty tone going on out of the LJ with the Thorpy's, I'd really urge you to try the Analogman.

Get a chase bliss tonal recall then... does loads, but can be simple and 2 presets..
    Gassage.....Pm'd you ..... Thanks for the advice. Chase Bliss ....? Heard of and will consider but analogue probably best aka A/man... Thanks guys Jon
    Chase Bliss is analog, using the xvive mn3005 :) soon as I have mine in my grubby hands, will do a review.

Whee do you buy the Chase Bliss from?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    JonHosker said:
    Yep - Analogueman ARDX20 great but £120-200? Where from?? Think Memory Man, Chrono or A/man pedals just suit me. I don't want fiddly over processed preset overload.....I am getting there...Probably decide this weekend as really missing delay in my sound!!!! Very helpful....Jon
    I got mine on here for £140 I think...

I might have just been lucky though?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Great price...enjoy!
    er, good question! It's on preorder right now, shipping may 30th

Free international shipping.

Musik Produktiv are also taking orders, but they are quite a lot more, even after you consider VAT

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    For a simple but not too simple great sounding delay, try a Diamond Memory Lane Jr or Counter Point. They sound sublime.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I have a Timeline and it's great, although I use my TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay more ... up to three delays at them same time ..

http://www.tcelectronic.com/flashback-triple-delay/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I don't get on with delays that do a load of things, I'm tweaking more than playing. So I ended up going with boxes that do one thing very well. Granted, I ended up spending more money that way, but I got the exact sounds I was after.

Pedals I recommend: Nova Delay and El Capistan.

But wow, that Chase Bliss pedal looks incredible. Never been a fan of analog delays, nor CB pedals, but that thing would make me crack both of those restraints.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    edited May 2016
    I can't decide on the timeline. In theory I want one for the functionality, and the demos are all pretty good, but the other guitarist in my band has one and when I hear him use it I've never been left thinking wow I need to spend £300 on that, unlike the big sky which I think sounds awesome.