Crackly guitar electrics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73089
    edited May 2016
    What type of bridge does it have and how is the ground wire connected to it?

Does disconnecting the ground wire stop the crackle, even if it then causes buzz?

It's unlikely you're overheating every pot and damaging it in the same way.

Stop putting new components in until you've identified the source of the problem. Whatever is causing it is one of the things you *haven't* changed.

You say you've changed the jack, so it isn't that either. Connect *one* pickup to the jack - no pots, no earth wire. Does it still crackle? If yes, it's the pickup. Or some outside source of noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    I tried connecting the pups up to the jack with the wilkinson pup and it still crackled so that's what made me change them to some from my prs which were fine in that ,but they still crackled lol. The bridge is a tune o matic and I think it's connected to the posts. Cheers dazz
    PICKUPS

;)

If it still crackles with just one pickup connected and the bridge wire, disconnect the bridge wire. It's got to be something about one of those three things. You can probably eliminate the pickup by trying the other one *on its own*, since it's unlikely both would have the same fault.

You really have to go through this sort of thing logically if it doesn't respond to simple fixes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    a few years I had an intermittent crackle in my valve power amp that took me ages to find. To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, once I'd eliminated everything else, however unlikely it seems I found that the noise was caused by an interconnecting wire. And no it wasn't a dry joint. The wire was 50 odd years old though :)
    The thing is it doesn't do it with any other guitar so it can't be that.
    I've changed the pots , the pickups , wire, Jack socket, the only things that are original are the switch and bridge ground wire.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    so what happens if you connect a pickup directly to the output jack with nothing else connected
    Still crackles on the willo but I haven't tried with the prs pups because they were fine in the guitar they come from .but I shall try
    edited May 2016
    Don't put the other pickups back in it. Please just do this the simple way! You'll be going round the houses forever if you keep changing things without finding the cause of the problem.

Connect ONE pickup - NOT BOTH - directly to the output jack.

Does it crackle?

If yes, disconnect that pickup and connect JUST THE OTHER PICKUP directly to the jack.

If it still crackles it isn't the pickups because both pickups will not have an identical fault.

Don't connect any pots or the switch, and DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE.

If it still crackles with either pickup, it's either the jack (but not if you've already changed that, for the same reason), the bridge ground wire, or something else - eg something which is causing a static crackle.

And if you call them "pups" again I'll stop trying to help you ;).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    It's the bridge ground wire. 

Or .... the switch. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Hang on, it's not one of these is it?

http://s017.radikal.ru/i422/1409/0d/2b0febd95a7f.jpg
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom