Digital Reverb test build ...

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
A day of firsts for me ... first digital pedal I've built and first PCB I've designed and etched rather than using vero!

Turned out quite nicely, think I'll use this method more in the future.

As for the circuit, it's a digital reverb chip with controls for Decay plus hi-cut and lo-cut to shape the reverb tone. There's a mode switch to change between a long-cavernous ambient reverb or a decent all-purpose medium reverb. 

The circuit passes through an analogue mixer so you can dial in just as much reverb as you like. There's also a switch to cut the dry signal - perfect for using the pedal in an amplifier effects loop.

When I've got more time I'll start wrestling with the programming language a little more, shimmer and modulated reverbs should be possible at some stage. Exciting stuff!

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7129
    tFB Trader
    Did you solder that by hand surface mounted? Must have been a delicate operation!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Did you solder that by hand surface mounted? Must have been a delicate operation!
    Yep ... I used a good temperature controlled iron and the finest tip I could get away with!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29190
    Hardcore!

Nice clean looking PCB too - excellent work.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    edited May 2016
    Hell fire.  That reverb chip looks to have two pins packed into the same space as every single pin on the standard 8-pin DIL package.  I'm not sure I'd have been physically capable of soldering that, no matter how fine the iron tip.

Fair play, even more so for a first go on a PCB - looks great!  I've always been a vero-warrior :)

What's the language like?  Is it assembler (in which case you have my sympathy) or something a bit more high-level?

tFB Trader
    randella said:
    Hell fire.  That reverb chip looks to have two pins packed into the same space as every single pin on the standard 8-pin DIL package.  I'm not sure I'd have been physically capable of soldering that, no matter how fine the iron tip.

Fair play, even more so for a first go on a PCB - looks great!  I've always been a vero-warrior :)

What's the language like?  Is it assembler (in which case you have my sympathy) or something a bit more high-level?

Assembler ... :( Outputs as standard HEX though so I should be able to program an external EEPROM using a Pickit. That's the straighforward bit ... :)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    edited May 2016
    I used the Microchip controllers years ago for matrixed LED arrays in some stuff I was doing.  The Arduino language beats assembler hands-down but the Atmega chips seemed to be hyper-sensitive to dips in the supply rail voltage in the final circuit, so PICs it was.  They might have changed in the meantime.

The nuts and bolts of assembler are quite attractive at the beginning, there's no high-level obfuscation, you know EXACTLY what's going on the whole time (in theory!).  After a while though I realised that the C#.NET I get paid to bang out professionally was far more lucrative than my tinkering was ever going to be.  And I missed my lovely fluffy Visual Studio debugger.

This is some interesting stuff you're doing here, I'll be following what you're up to for sure - good luck! :)
  • Wow, looks awesome! Amazingly tidy work. What iron do you use? I wanna get a new, good one with a set of tips.
    tFB Trader
    @ThePrettyDamned this one http://www.topqualitytools.co.uk/soldering-station-60w-220v-uk-21-10115-uk/?gclid=CjwKEAjwpLa5BRCTwcXS6_rpvC4SJACTDQMMo8ZWuSCI4P0ZCKDY0hnfbJ87MO78SbKleLJW8XS1jRoCNA3w_wcB

Although I got it from Maplin. It's sold under a few brand names though. Used it day in day out for about 2 years now without issue.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    This is a whole new level of mad genius. :)

If there is a waiting list for the finished unit I want to be on it.