Die stamping Chrome?

What's Hot

I am guessing neck plates are chrome plated mild steel.  Chrome is hard as nuts though. 

Has anyone ever stamped one with a hand die and hammer?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29190
    I would think the stamping is normally done before the chroming.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    That's what I assumed too, as even if you got a stamp, the chrome would most likely flake off, but if you think about it, it adds a layer of complexity to production logistics.  I was thinking about old Fender ones particularly, maybe they were nickel plated, is nickel softer?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29190
    I believe it is.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I've got a sheet of 2m x 1m 2mm steel leftover, I might makes some neck plates, stamp them and then nickel plate them myself with a battery, some vinegar and some nickel carbonate.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    When I was a kid I successfully electroplated brass using a solution of nickel sulphate
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73089
    Sambostar said:
    That's what I assumed too, as even if you got a stamp, the chrome would most likely flake off, but if you think about it, it adds a layer of complexity to production logistics.  I was thinking about old Fender ones particularly, maybe they were nickel plated, is nickel softer?
    Fender ones were stamped before plating. That's why the serial numbers are only a rough guide to date, not a sequential order of production - they were stamped out and numbered by one company, plated by another, and then stored in large bins at Fender where the assembly workers just picked out one at random and fitted it to the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    Sambostar said:
    I've got a sheet of 2m x 1m 2mm steel leftover, I might makes some neck plates, stamp them and then nickel plate them myself with a battery, some vinegar and some nickel carbonate.
    @Sambostar I'd be interested to see how you go on with that, let us know if you get five minutes.

I've ordered the dies, 60's they are not, but a few number vaguely match the old font. 1/8" high.  See how I go. 

Probably another hiding to nothing.