JOYO acoustic pre-amps / sounboard piezo fit

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
I have been impressed by the quality and sound of the JOYO on-board eq preamps. I am thinking of fitting one to a guitar that I have.

I want to use a sound board contact piezo pickup rather than an under-saddle piezo. Does anyone know if any contact piezo would work with a JOYO preamp?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    If an undersaddle transducer will work, so will a contact one. There's very little difference in the output usually - it constantly surprises me that this is so because obviously a contact pickup is just being vibrated by the top rather than compressed under the full string tension, but it really does seem to be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    So, I have just bought the JOYO preamp, I can now get a little Piezo, attach some double sided sticky to it and, with the correct plug, plug it in?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    Should do, yes.

If you don't have one already, you can get little piezo transducers from Maplin or elsewhere online for very cheap - like this:

Having once opened up a dead one of a much more expensive "pickup brand" transducer to see if it was fixable, I was a little surprised to discover it was no more than one of these encased in a bit of nicely-moulded black epoxy…

You're probably best with more than one spread over a range of positions. Just wire them all in parallel and connect them to the same plug.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited May 2016
    Yay!.....and it's finished and sounds as good as anything I have ever heard! A big thumbs up for the JOYO acoustic preamp.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom