Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One amp to rule them all?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Carr slant v 6 combo is compact, sounds great clean or OD, loud enough to gig with noisy drummer, but still sounds sweet at home volumes. One for sale on here.
    I was never quite happy with it. Yes,could get lots of great sounds but when playing live I was never satisfied and couldn't quite tweak it it to suit the room. Lots of twiddling and felt like I was cheating somehow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    No love for Tone King on here I see?

Love the demos of Metropolitan, but that price tag puts it out of my range

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Check out 65 Amps Soho High Powered.
    It has one of the best clean tones known to man.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    I have just noticed that the AC15 Hand Wired has a half power switch?  Hmmmm.  This could be an option.

A guitarist in a band I was in once had an old AC 30 ..... and it was so loud it hurt my head.  He couldn't really get it on its mojo without cranking it, which was never really suitable in the pubs we played.  So he put pedals in front of it and/or used an attenuator - which negated the tone of the amp a bit.

So ..... I'm figuring an AC15 hand wired might be an option?

How does it achieve this?  If it's a pentode/triode switch it will affect the tone.  The half power tone would be muddier than the normal sound.

The best low volume sounds I have heard have been with power scaling that drops the voltage.  My Lazy J 20 with power scaling sounds better at low volumes than my 5 Watt amps - yet with the 6L6s and Celestion Blue it can get pretty loud if you need it to.  I said it before, but you really should check out the Lazy J.
  • I've recently got a Mesa Express 5:50+ and that covers a lot of ground. The only thing I would change on this amp is the the clean and crunch are on the same "channel" so I'm using the blues channel for my clean sound. The clean and the crunch are fantastic on this amp.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    mmaatt25 said:
    I've recently got a Mesa Express 5:50+ and that covers a lot of ground. The only thing I would change on this amp is the the clean and crunch are on the same "channel" so I'm using the blues channel for my clean sound. The clean and the crunch are fantastic on this amp.
    It's a shame they didn't use the 'channel cloning' idea from the early Dual Rectifier and Trem-o-verb - you can essentially swap the voicing on each channel so either the Vintage High Gain on the same channel as the clean becomes Modern, or vice versa on the other channel - that way you can footswitch between any two of the modes. Presumably that would have put the cost up too much on the Express though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 566
    The blackstar artisan 15 takes some beating . . Simple and versatile and they sound awesome . . I love mine :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• mmaatt25 said:
    I've recently got a Mesa Express 5:50+ and that covers a lot of ground. The only thing I would change on this amp is the the clean and crunch are on the same "channel" so I'm using the blues channel for my clean sound. The clean and the crunch are fantastic on this amp.
    Yeah, same here with the 5:25. The best clean is on Blues and the best crunch is, appropriately enough, on Crunch.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I think my answer to this is a Vox AC15HW1. Button may well have been pressed by the time you read this.  I know it is not the absolutely most flexible amp - but it has a lot of things going for it.

And it's kinda cool.
    Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com