Boss - FS-5L - latching footswitch

bertiebertie Frets: 13577
mrs bert uses one for her reverb (Alesis midiverb),  its eating batteries,  which are the 9v  - they're only used to power the status LED...............anyone else come accross this ?

cheers me dears
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72947
    I she leaving it plugged in with the LED on?

There's really nothing else that should draw any current, unless the wiring has somehow got crushed and is shorting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Shouldn't she be using the non latching version ?
    When I tried the latching type I had to press it twice.
    My Quad , Lexicon and TC all require a non latch switch which don't require power.
  • I just checked the manual and she should be using the non latching type.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited December 2013
    non-latching =  which I thought, only works as long as yer foot is on the swtich,  which she deosnt want.

The switch works perfectly -  its just that the battery - that only operates the LED nothing else -  runs down very quckly............

EDIT  =    Mrs bert has just announced,  its not the Alesis she uses it on ,  its the old Peavey Deltafex  ..................and that wants a latching switch

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72947
    The circuit is incredibly simple - battery, switch, resistor, LED. I'm pretty sure there's another switch in the jack to turn the battery on as well, so if there isn't a cable in it and the switch is off as well, there's really no way it can draw any current unless the battery clip has a short in it.

What type of batteries is she using? I had a bad batch of Panasonics a while back, half of them were near enough dead out of the box, and didn't last more than a few minutes in pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    Duracell's............Ive now had a look at it,  and its not even a Boss, its a Bespeko -  probably the same by the looks of it !!

anyway,  put a new battery in, adjusted the LED and made the "hole" bigger so its more visible, and asked her to make sure its OFF before she unplugs it........lets see