Multi-pin connectors

SporkySporky Frets: 29191
Wotcher all - I'm building a MIDI controller for the looper on my Helix. This involves a custom MIDuino board from midikits.net and a TC Helicon Switch 6, whcih I chose because it's small, fairly inexpensive and has six momentary switches already in place.

The downside of the Switch 6 is that it's not big enough to fit the MIDuino in, so that'll have to go into a separate enclosure. This means that I need to run a multi-core cable between the footswitch and the brainsbox. The Switch 6 is also too small to get an Ethercon connector in, and I want to stick to something that uses a round hole (rather than buy an expensive square/rectagular punch or spend ages filing).

I came across these - UK made, 16mm hole, available with up to 8 pins and pretty sensibly priced (about £6 per plug/socket pair):

Nice simple solder buckets on the backs of the pins, no weird crimp/insertion tools needed. Clamping strain relief and they lock in with a knurled screw ring.

Just thought they might be of interest to the electronicsy types.
"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I know you are sorted now, but:

For future reference a great source for a wide variety of high quality multi-pin connectors is Lemo.  Exquisite Swiss engineering.  Farnell stock them and RS might too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29191
    Those look interesting, but the first few all had crimp pins. Which give me The Fear.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Crimps give me the cramps, or was it the other way round ?

I am sure they still do good olde fashioned solder stylee too.

The multi-multi pin ones they (used?) to do need a degree in logistics to work out the soldering schedule though  :-B

Like a round EDAC, only fit for purpose?

I'll have another look over the site - ta. :)
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    we use lemo plugs at work (power station) - they do crimps and solder types :)
    I have made a note of 'em for future reference, ta. :)

The Cliff ones have gone in nicely; they not huge so you have to be fairly well organised doing the wire dress and soldering, but assembly is pretty simple at that point.