Les Paul shielding

Is it worth lining an historic LP's cavities and covers with copper tape?

Is copper tape the best material?

If so, where's the best place to get the right stuff?

TiA.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    edited May 2016
    Slug repellant tape. Do not buy any from a guitar retailer it's way too expensive. I bought a huge roll for £1 from Amazon last year.

I've shielded my strat but not my les Paul or my tele.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    I prefer condec conductive paint tbh, a lot neater and less lacerations from the copper shield ;)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Never spotted the difference that shielding makes - anyone advise what I am missing?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73089
    Is it worth lining an historic LP's cavities and covers with copper tape?
    No.

A Les Paul with proper braided cabling is already very well-shielded, by the cabling and the pot casings. The only parts that aren't are the tiny lengths of exposed wiring at the pots, and the tone caps - although even these don't make a lot of difference if they're arranged with the outer foil (indicated by the band on some caps) at the tone control end rather than the volume control.

If you must do it, conductive paint will make all the extra difference that anything can - it's not as effective as foil in totally unshielded guitars, but the difference is so marginal here that it's not worth worrying about.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3372
    That'll do then...thanks chaps ;)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    tFB Trader
    We use a nickel shielding paint that works REALLY well 
    Available as an aerosol if you prefer to spray (make sure you shake it up well)

It's important to run a wire from any isolated cavity that you screen to the back of the pot that is the last point before the earth wire goes out to the jack.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!