Weight & Mass

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27750
I've spent half the day arguing on a facebook page about weight and mass and how to measure them, so thought I'd put the same question up here. 

Someone had homework with the following question. How would you reply and why?

Jack wanted to know the weight of an object. What instrument should he use?

a) scale
b) rule
c) lightmeter
d) forcemeter
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I think I'd probably use a scale. Because it weighs things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Assuming he's doing it on Earth, I'd say a scale too.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    A scale.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    hobbio said:
    Assuming he's doing it on Earth, I'd say a scale too.
    If he's doing in on Tattoine I'd probably still use a scale but I might use a forcemeter if there were valid suspicions of a high midichlorian count. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Who's Jack?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635

Isn't the difference that mass is fixed but weight depends on gravity?

The weight is the force experienced due to gravity, so the answer may be forcemeter.... if, indeed, there is such a thing as a forcemeter.

In the real world I'm sure Jack would use a scale, since he's not likely to be going anywhere where gravity is different.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited May 2016
    D. No, A. Maybe. Whichever one has newtons on it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27750
    Who's Jack?
    It was "Suleman" in the original question, but I thought I'd anglicise it ;)

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Weight is a force...so forcemeter.

Or a scale to get the mass and multiply by gravitational acceleration (g)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    It's not a good question.

Strictly speaking weight is a Force so you could measure it with a forcemeter.  Having said that you would normally get it by using scales and multiplying the mass you read in kg by 9.81 m/s2.

If you want to get pedantic about it though, what you read as mass on a set of scales calibrated in kg is would only be correct at sea level on earth (or somewhere else where the acceleration due to gravity is 9.81m/s2).  Given the principles that most scales work on they actually measure weight not mass even if the units on them are kg.   If you had something that showed as 6kg on a set of scales on earth then they would incorrectly show as 1kg on the moon even though the object has a mass of 6kg.  They should really show weight in Newtons.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    e) Google.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

The weight is the force experienced due to gravity, so the answer may be forcemeter.... if, indeed, there is such a thing as a forcemeter.

In the real world I'm sure Jack would use a scale, since he's not likely to be going anywhere where gravity is different.

That's what the teacher said, apparently. Loads of people have been arguing that scale is wrong because it doesn't read out in Newtons, but that's really completely irrelevant as a basic scale (ie one with a single plate and a spring mechanism) IS a type of forcemeter, used to measure the force between the earth and the object sitting on the scale. 

I can totally see that a see-saw-type weight balance might not be the right answer, but ultimately it's a crappy question.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    edited May 2016
    Major Scale? Or Minor Scale?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

What are those things in the bathroom for measuring your weight called again? Oh yes Bathroom Force-meters.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    It's a fucking stupid question, every time I've needed to know what something weighs, I weigh it, on a scale because that tells me what it weighs.

I hope all my drug dealers do too, I want an earth gramme of cocaine, not a jupiter one.....Or is that the other way round, I'm no scientist.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3176
    Isn't force weight times acceleration?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

No. Mass x Acceleration.

Weight is a force! ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3176
    edited May 2016

martinw said:

No. Mass x Acceleration.

Weight is a force! ;)

Brain hurts
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1885
    Philly_Q said:

That's what the teacher said, apparently. Loads of people have been arguing that scale is wrong because it doesn't read out in Newtons, but that's really completely irrelevant as a basic scale (ie one with a single plate and a spring mechanism) IS a type of forcemeter, used to measure the force between the earth and the object sitting on the scale. 

I can totally see that a see-saw-type weight balance might not be the right answer, but ultimately it's a crappy question.

It is a crappy question. It is hard to gauge what scientific level this is aimed at. If it is for an 8 year old then scale would be correct enough in my opinion. A "weighing scale" should really be called a "balance."

I don't see what a question has to gain by being a smartarse.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Sesh said:
    Philly_Q said:

It is a crappy question. It is hard to gauge what scientific level this is aimed at. If it is for an 8 year old then scale would be correct enough in my opinion. A "weighing scale" should really be called a "balance."

I don't see what a question has to gain by being a smartarse.

It's for 6th grade, apparently, which is 11-12 year olds. 

I completely get what the teacher is trying to achieve, but it's badly worded and misleading. I now have a bunch of teachers on facebook telling me it's not misleading or badly worded. They're wrong.