A fixer-upper with a bust (?) neck ...

What's Hot
I bought this a couple of months ago.

The neck wasn't like that when I got it - that's after I've just spent an hour with some sandpaper.

I bought it as a fixer-upper - something to use for neck-break repair practice.

It was in this condition ...

Looking at that, I thought it was the standard LP-style neck break.

I was surprised at how quickly & easily the finish came off.  Some 60grit paper revealed ...

There's a hairline crack in the wood, but nothing like the crack that I'd expected, based on the crack in the finish.  The edge of the fretboard is parting company with the neck, so that'll need a bit of glue.

But I'm not sure that the hairline crack needs any attention ???  I think I'd need to make it a lot worse to get any glue in there.  A tap test suggests that it's pretty solid too.

I'll strip the rest of the finish off, re-glue the fretboard, refinish the neck (probably just some oil) and see how it is when it's re-strung.  Can't imagine that the pickup will be up to much, so I'll probably swap that whilst it's easy to do.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My mate has that guitar :O sounds really bright, perfect for punk rock!

Regarding hairline crack, I don't think I could personally leave it.  However, if it is sound, maybe some glue to just help seal it together, then refinished over the top might be more than enough to keep it steady :)

The finish on my epi was miles thicker than that... took me bloomin' days to get it off!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    edited December 2013
    Soak the crack in superglue and then clamp it. It will penetrate in quite well. You definitely don't want to just leave it with the end of the fingerboard detached.

You'll probably be able to open it up a bit by pushing the headstock back - if you do that repeatedly while you add glue and 'work' it, it will help get it into the depth of the cracks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27970
    ICBM said:
    Soak the crack in superglue and then clamp it. It will penetrate in quite well. You definitely don't want to just leave it with the end of the fingerboard detached.

Superglue it shall be!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    I'd drill a small pilot hole and try and inject some superglue under a little bit of pressure. One of the West System syringes would do it.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    What's the deal with Superglue? How permanent is it? As permanent as an epoxy glue? Only saying because I'd heard it doesn't like any damp conditions, and was less of a permanent fix than some other products on the market.

• I've used superglue to fix wooden fishing lures and not finished over them. Several hundred casts into warm-to-freezing water, and it's still fine. :)

And that was the cheapest £1 superglue I could find...