Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Clarky said:
    up until about the last 30 mins I thought Wales would win it..
    but they dropped into a siege mentality trying to hold on to the draw which invited England in
    hats off to Wales though.. I thought they worked very hard

I agree, Wales played too negatively. Jonny Williams and Aaron Ramsey were raring to get the ball up the other end.
    A bit more adventure and Wales could have got a second .. Hart looks nervous and his defence were often AWOL.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    Clarky said:
    but they dropped into a siege mentality trying to hold on to the draw which invited England in
    to be fair to England, the final 30 mins was the best I've seen them play for some time..
    but finishing still seems to be a prob.. simply not enough shots on target to show for all that possession..
    if England can win go on to win the group, they could possibly make the last 8
    either way, as soon as England meets one of the top teams they'll be out

It could be argued that some teams (not having a pop at Wales) in the group stages play a conservative defensive game (Iceland) and that when England take on a team like Portugal in the knockout stages the game will be more open so there will be more opportunities. If Roy wants to play Kane he will need much better service.
    remember the South Africa world cup when some teams were playing a sort of 'anti-football'
    just defending all the time and filling the box with bodies
    it was dreadful to watch..

at least with Wales and Iceland they'd soak it all up and then get up there with a solid attack when the chance arose
    kinda the football equivalent of Ali's "rope a dope"

play every note as if it were your first
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited June 2016
    Fretwired said:
    Clarky said:

I agree, Wales played too negatively. Jonny Williams and Aaron Ramsey were raring to get the ball up the other end.
    A bit more adventure and Wales could have got a second .. Hart looks nervous and his defence were often AWOL.
    I agree… 
    Wales looked well organised and worked really hard for each other..
    up until the 1st England goal they looked dangerous on the counter attack
    at 1-1 it was like they decided to shut up shop and try to protect the draw
    that said.. it almost worked..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    All the bitching about England here makes me lol.

If that was Germany or France tonight that beat us 2-1 with a last minute goal, all the English would be wanking themselves off saying how patient they are, or how they never give up.

As it is because it's England there's no credit given, they got lucky, Wales were defensive etc.

You guys wonder why you don't do well in competitions or why the media abuse the team?

It's evident in this thread and these attitudes seep through to the team...

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Fretwired;1113169" said:
    I'd back Wales to beat Russia. They have an ageing back four .. run at them, get the free kick and give the ball to Bale .. :-)
    Isn't that the normal game plan for Wales?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904
    edited June 2016
    lloyd said:

If that was Germany or France tonight that beat us 2-1 with a last minute goal, all the English would be wanking themselves off saying how patient they are, or how they never give up.

As it is because it's England there's no credit given, they got lucky, Wales were defensive etc.

You guys wonder why you don't do well in competitions or why the media abuse the team?

Totally agree. 'We'll never beat Wales.' England beat Wales. 'Well we'll never beat Germany'. There's quite a few on here, i'd just rather look at the positives, which there are when we are top of the group.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    lloyd said:
    Gotta hate being right sometimes

photo 56D6C239-8EF8-4B03-860C-90FDBC10F73B_zps8ubmzkq0.png

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904
    Fretwired said:
    Clarky said:

'A bit more adventure'? They couldn't hold the ball. There were no decent chances other than the free kick. They had 31% posession and 2 shots on target, one if which was the goal. There defending was resolute but only because the whole team was behind the ball. They didn't have the option of being adveturous because they needed everbody to defend. Credit for their effort and England are not final material but there is a wide gap between the teams.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Yes, all this- but mainly they failed to score enough goals.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    octatonic said:
    You jest, but I was in the car a lot today and listening to 5 live, Into the 9th hour of build up, John Hartson's filibuster-like endurance faltered and he was reduced to saying that England would really need to score more goals than Wales to win (to which there was the learned rejoinder that goals win games). No. Shit. Sherlock.
    kjdowd said:
    octatonic said:
    You jest, but I was in the car a lot today and listening to 5 live, Into the 9th hour of build up, John Hartson's filibuster-like endurance faltered and he was reduced to saying that England would really need to score more goals than Wales to win (to which there was the learned rejoinder that goals win games). No. Shit. Sherlock.
    Ha, amazeballs.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    kjdowd;1113432" said:
    octatonic said:

I'm a big fan of John.. he's lucky to be alive too.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2085
    Northern Fucking Ireland - fantastic!

We're guaranteed 3rd in our group. Just have to pray we sneak in as 4th best placed 3rd place team (if that makes sense).

Of course, we're just as likely to beat Germany and top the group.

#GAWA
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    Saw the end of Poland v Germany. That consisted of Germany happy with a draw and just trying to keep possession, hope the earlier part was more exciting.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Haha to the polish rampage lol..

HONESTLY. Just watched the Germany game. Do players EVER have the balls to use their skill to take it past their marker!? It's all about safe passes, bloody boring!!

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1012
    Nitefly said:
    What a fantastic result for NI! :)
    damn right. i shed a tear. i don't normally do that.
    Germany didn't really turn up tonight.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    pintspiller;1113568" said:
    Nitefly said:

What a fantastic result for NI! :)

damn right. i shed a tear. i don't normally do that.
    Master Mudslide and I commented on the lack of marking on GMac right before he scored. Him and Jonny were colossal at the back too. I just wish that Brunty had been able to take part too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902
    That's the trouble with Wales, too many Leeks in defence.

Seriously though, chuffed for N.I and I hope England and Wales progress from our group and the Russians finish bottom.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    lloyd said:

Disagree .. I said the same about England in the Russia game (look back in this thread - you said England were a good team) .. England were lucky to get the free kick. Other than that they rarely troubled the Russian keeper. For me this has nothing to do with Wales .. England are poor in the penalty area .. you don't get points for possession.

All Wales needed was an outlet. A big centre forward like Hartson to relieve the pressure. Lennon was getting angry at one point - Wales were easily dispossessing England forwards, but all they could do was kick down field to an England player who got the next attack going ensuring Wales faced relentless pressure.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!