recommended upgrades and budget costs

My go to guitar is currently a Vintage AV3 semi (335 copy)

It plays and sounds great but I'm sure it could be better.
The previous owner had already replaced the pick ups with some SD Jeff Beck humbuckers which are great.However the neck pickup sounds a bit muddy. I'm fairly sure the pots weren't change so this may be part of the problem. The guitar also has a sort of coil tap control knob which also sounds dreadful on anything other than full humbucker setting. 

What I would like to get done is :
Upgrade the pots
Rewire everything  
Replace tuners

Any idea how much this would cost?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    edited May 2016
    How about doing it yourself? Swapping pots and capacitors is relatively easy. Get good quality pots because they will be mechanically more reliable, and close to their nominal resistance. Don't waste money on expensive capacitors. The cost is going to be between £5 and £10 per pot, depending what you buy, and capacitors are pence. 

I'd only rewire it if the existing wiring looks sloppy, and I'd only swap the tuners if you have difficulty keeping it in tune because the current tuners are wobbly or a high gear ratio.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 559
    Roland said:
    How about doing it yourself? Swapping pots and capacitors is relatively easy. Get good quality pots because they will be mechanically more reliable, and close to their nominal resistance. Don't waste money on expensive capacitors. The cost is going to be between £5 and £10 per pot, depending what you buy, and capacitors are pence. 

I'd only rewire it if the existing wiring looks sloppy, and I'd only swap the tuners if you have difficulty keeping it in tune because the current tuners are wobbly or a high gear ratio.
    Thanks for the info . 

Tuners are a little flimsy but never have any issues with staying in tune, so will probably leave them.