Pickup Recommendations

What's Hot
earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3509
edited May 2016 in Making & Modding
I took delivery of a Epi LPC this week, which I like a lot but the EMG 81/85 isn't really to my kind of playing style.

Aside from the usual PAF's/HB's and P90's does anyone have any experience of using something a 'bit different' in a LPC style guitar?  When it comes to a 'bit different' the types of pickups which I have in mind include Gold Foils, bar/rails, Firebirds, Supro/Valco style.

Does anyone have any experience of these kind of pickups in general or in a LP style guitar? 

If possible I am looking for two distinct sounds for each pickup for some variety, and so far one of the combinations have been considering a Mojo Guyatone GF for the neck and a Oil City Winterizer 2 for the bridge.  Is there any reason such a combination would or wouldn't work?  

I tend to spend almost all my time playing clean, with reverb and tremolo the main effects with compression used when I play slide.  I also tend to play finger style quite a lot.  The kind of players I like and the style I possibly play in is Sir Richard Bishop, Loren Connors, and Alan Sparhawk (solo and Low)

Before I hit the pickup makers with some questions, I'd be most appreciative if the wise heads of this forum have some recommendations they could share. 

Thanks in advance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I can definitely recommend mojo pickups, just bloody fantastic

I've got a set of beast buckers in a replica that are unreal, I can get almost strat like in the middle, srv lenny on a les paul sounded really good.

We put a hss set in a set neck strat we made that sounded dead on for hendrix srv type tones
    It was a paf and 2 60's single coils

I'll be putting a set of p90's in my set neck tele too and can't wait to hear them.

Let me know and I can post links up for sound clips
    We did some properly recorded yesterday
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11144
    tFB Trader
    I took delivery of a Epi LPC this week, which I like a lot but the EMG 81/85 isn't really to my kind of playing style.

Aside from the usual PAF's/HB's and P90's does anyone have any experience of using something a 'bit different' in a LPC style guitar?  When it comes to a 'bit different' the types of pickups which I have in mind include Gold Foils, bar/rails, Firebirds, Supro/Valco style.

Does anyone have any experience of these kind of pickups in general or in a LP style guitar? 

If possible I am looking for two distinct sounds for each pickup for some variety, and so far one of the combinations have been considering a Mojo Guyatone GF for the neck and a Oil City Winterizer 2 for the bridge.  Is there any reason such a combination would or wouldn't work?  

I tend to spend almost all my time playing clean, with reverb and tremolo the main effects with compression used when I play slide.  I also tend to play finger style quite a lot.  The kind of players I like and the style I possibly play in is Sir Richard Bishop, Loren Connors, and Alan Sparhawk (solo and Low)

Before I hit the pickup makers with some questions, I'd be most appreciative if the wise heads of this forum have some recommendations they could share. 

Thanks in advance

Just putting the finishing touches to a Valco/Supro style pickup in humbucker size ... might be looking at someone to test the prototype ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3509

Thanks in advance

Just putting the finishing touches to a Valco/Supro style pickup in humbucker size ... might be looking at someone to test the prototype ... 
    Seriously?  I live in London, I could come to pick it up and test it!  
    tFB Trader
    Seriously, I have a couple of weeks extra testing to do ... but after that It would be good to get a fresh view of a pet project. The Supro style pickup is a bit of a lost gem ... output close to a P90, but with a super complex set of harmonics. Single coil, humbucker sized and very earthy plus a bit raucous if you allow it to be. Still designing a cover ...probably gold foil style ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Seriously, I have a couple of weeks extra testing to do ... but after that It would be good to get a fresh view of a pet project. The Supro style pickup is a bit of a lost gem ... output close to a P90, but with a super complex set of harmonics. Single coil, humbucker sized and very earthy plus a bit raucous if you allow it to be. Still designing a cover ...probably gold foil style ... 
    If you need someone to test it, I'd be as happy as larry to give it a go!  

I'm in agreement about Supro style pickups being lost gems.  I love the sound of them.  To my ears there's a real nastiness to it but in a good way with a lot of a character.   Of the two types of HB sized Supro style pickups I have come across, the one with the slightly off centre slugs and the one with the massive screw in the middle, I'm not sure of the differences between them for sound but I really like the look of the one with the big screw in the middle.  There's something gloriously wonky but still really precise about it's look. 
    tFB Trader
    If you need someone to test it, I'd be as happy as larry to give it a go!  

I'm in agreement about Supro style pickups being lost gems.  I love the sound of them.  To my ears there's a real nastiness to it but in a good way with a lot of a character.   Of the two types of HB sized Supro style pickups I have come across, the one with the slightly off centre slugs and the one with the massive screw in the middle, I'm not sure of the differences between them for sound but I really like the look of the one with the big screw in the middle.  There's something gloriously wonky but still really precise about it's look. 
    Lol my PAF looking version is a bit plain .... but it serves it's purposes as a R&D vehicle. I will be getting back to you soon re trialing one :-)

Lol my PAF looking version is a bit plain .... but it serves it's purposes as a R&D vehicle. I will be getting back to you soon re trialing one :-)
    Woo!  

So excited!