Les Paul P90 conversion

What's Hot
I have a Gibson Les Paul 50's tribute that plays beautifully but I have more of a need for a humbucker loaded guitar than a P90 loaded...

I'm pretty sure that I can't straight swap for humbuckers without a chunk of routing work which I don't want to do. Does anyone know if I could put in a set of Firebird or normal mini humbucker pickups without major surgery on the guitar...

Cheers

DC
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11144
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    Firebird or minis will drop straight in ... in the normal mini humbucker surrounds ...they were originally made by cutting the tops out of P90 covers anyway!
    I quite like these
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3509
    Creamery do some P90 sized (with the screws in the same position too) hum buckers

I saw on his FB he has a standard P90 sized Wide Range pickup to be released soon as well. 
    tFB Trader
    The trouble with a Wide range design is the tone relies on the size of the bobbins ... which are much too large to fit inside a humbucker case, let alone a P90 one.The creamery use I believe two Telecaster neck size bobbins for the P90 humbucker. When you change the bobbin dimensions to fit the space, you change the tone ... it's physics.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3509
    edited May 2016
    TheGuitarWeasel said: The trouble with a Wide range design is the tone relies on the size of the bobbins ... which are much too large to fit inside a humbucker case, let alone a P90 one.The creamery use I believe two Telecaster neck size bobbins for the P90 humbucker. When you change the bobbin dimensions to fit the space, you change the tone ... it's physics.

Yep, the Creamery chap stated 
    "Geometry dictates not an exact tonal replica but through testing, and testing I got close. A little brighter, a little more focused but true to the clarity & definition of the original."

Look nice from the picture though! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Dimarzio also do some P90-sized humbuckers that will drop right in. I'd buy a set of Gibson mini-humbuckers though.
    tFB Trader
    The Dimarzio ones are truly abysmal ... especially the almost 18k ones!
    Depends what you want. Mini humbuckers are a different sound to Firebirds by a long way. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    You guys are top drawer - many thanks. I loved the mini's in my old firebird but looks like there's a few options to explore
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    What about a stacked p90
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303

how funny, I'm looking at doing the opposite and converting something from humbucker to P90.

either way, it doesn't seem to look visually right with small humbuckers, or big p90's