Anyone bought from guitar fetish?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• enteeentee Frets: 93

I was interested to read this as I am searching for a cheap neck wide range humbucker for my Thinline Tele build and the only one I can find is the GFS Wide Tone Fat. I think they are made by Artec and have been trying to find the same pick-up under their badge for sale in the UK so I can avoid import taxes etc but have failed.

Anyone aware of someone in the UK who stocks this pick-up?

Cheers!
    Dude, no idea about the pups you mention, but I bought NY II/IIIs for my Gretsch from GFS and they didn't get import tax added to them - came through with no bother and very quickly....
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    Cheers bud, there used to be a sticky on the Music Radar forum that had details of Import Tax charges etc but I can't see one on here - does anyone know when charges apply on stuff inported from non-EU countries?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    Minimum you'll pay is 20% VAT if customs stop the package. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Bought a Retrotron Surf 90 pickup from them - arrived very quickly and a great pickup. Paid no VAT, but of course that should not be assumed.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    Firstly, apologies about resurrecting an old thread.

Like a poster above, I think that the likes of Guitar Fetish, Artec and Eastwood components come from the same factories and that quality is higher than expected.

My back-up guitar is a '74 Gibson SG Special. It sounded much better unplugged and low-volume test in shop than it did when I actually got it home. The mini-humbuckers in it didn't really compare to the high-output of the pickups in my Gordon-Smith, so I replaced them with Seymourised Mini-humbuckers - which didn't make much difference.

I removed the humbuckers and installed an unmarked P90 I picked up on Ebay for £10 or something that I believe to have been Artec. It improved the guitar no-end. Turned it into a garage-rock demon. High-gain, low-gain, roll-back-on-volume. Effing great! 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    longjaw said:
    Thread resurrected!

I was interested to read this as I am searching for a cheap neck wide range humbucker for my Thinline Tele build and the only one I can find is the GFS Wide Tone Fat. I think they are made by Artec and have been trying to find the same pick-up under their badge for sale in the UK so I can avoid import taxes etc but have failed.

Anyone aware of someone in the UK who stocks this pick-up?

Cheers!
    Might as well update on this - I bought a set from GFS and they're great:

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Bought a pair of humbuckers, years ago. Happy with them.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I bought some GFS premium Strat pickups off their eBay site years ago, I think they were a '69 replica. They were pretty nice sounding for the dosh. Service was quick from what I remember.