Noteworthy acoustic collection is on sale

xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
edited June 2016 in Acoustics
Here.

I saw him play several times inthe last ten years and he was always playing the Ralph Brown guitars, mainly the cutaway model with Fishman pup.

Quite a varied collection, unsurprisingly for such a varied player.

The guitar not included there is the lovely sunburst 335 he played in Pentangle, which according to his website was nicked many years ago.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2016
    Here's another guitar not included in the sale in action. I wouldn't call this a 'prime slice' of Pentangle. The packet of Dunhills and wine glasses on Bert's amp suggests they might have had a few, but here's John Renbourn playing his old Gibson J-50. I suspect he had this because of the massive influence Davy Graham- who also played a J-50- had on all of the 60's British folk-blues players.

I believe the J-50, the 335 and a sitar were John's main instruments in the Pentangle years. After that came the Guild which is on sale and later the Ralph Brown guitars.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5110
    Chandlers über-optimistic pricing, as usual.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    @fretfinder No comment ;)...

Except to say that the ones with the highest intrinsic, and therefore doubtless financial, value (the Browns and the Guild) have gone.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    Sorry to make a correction but it is 'Ralph Bown' not 'Ralph Brown'! 

Would have loved to have tried the Bowns, really great guitars.  RB is the best guitar maker in the UK for my money...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I'd love to have that zither. Always been a big fan of Anton Karas.

Would have loved to have tried the Bowns, really great guitars.  RB is the best guitar maker in the UK for my money...
    @earwighoney. No apologies necessary. I am a massive Withnail and I fan, and one of the actors in it is called Ralph Brown. I must have unconsiously altered the Bown name to 'Brown'!

I really should stop toking on Camberwell Carrots.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    edited June 2016
    Thoughts of Pentangle take me back to days long past. I saw them live fairly early on in their career - probably in 1969. I remember the gig as being thoroughly enjoyable.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    Skarloey said:

@earwighoney. No apologies necessary. I am a massive Withnail and I fan, and one of the actors in it is called Ralph Brown. I must have unconsiously altered the Bown name to 'Brown'!

I really should stop toking on Camberwell Carrots.
    Thanks for posting it though!  

Renbourne is one of my all time fav guitarists.  

Withnail is immense.  
  • The original Chandlers link no longer works, obviously, but his guitar collection was recently auctioned at Chiswick Auctions. No sale prices, just guide prices to some seriously nice instruments, quite a few of them electric guitars. https://chiswickauctions.co.uk/catalogues/171004/