Best bridge pup for 1995 fender strat

I have a 1995 fender strat and want a humbucker bridge pickup to fatten the tone out. I'm looking at a Seymour Duncan hot rail. But some folks seem to prefer a full size humbucker. I guess as the tone is presumable better. I'm not into screaming death thrash metal, but I want to fatten out the tone and get a but more signal strength. I do have a les Paul which cuts through the mix and any loud band with ease. However the strat neck is much more to my liking, (surprisingly). So whilst I love the power of my Paul, I love the strat for playability. My gut feel is to beef up the bridge. Any ideas, or experiences gratefully acknowledged in advance :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 373
    have you thought of an over wound fat single coil? something with a p90 flavour. 

As long as the tone pot is wired to the bridge you can tame the highs and the volume difference is greatly improved over a HSS setup. 

My two strats are wired HSS and SSS but the 2nd one has a fat single, still sounds stratty but its beefy and fat.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • pdpmailpdpmail Frets: 0
    Hmm that's an idea thanks
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 660
    I recently stuck a Bare Knuckle Mule I had hanging around into mine as I wanted something a less shouty than the pickup I had in there. It worked pretty well and position 2 is reasonable even without a split.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I highly recommend fat single coils. Something more Tele-flavoured can work a treat. Rio Grande's Halfbreed and Muy Grande slightly have bigger polepieces rather than more wire to achieve that, and are awesome.  Oil City does something similar too iirc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Something with a baseplate
  • pdpmailpdpmail Frets: 0
    Thanks guys. There's one other thing. This base plate business? Any love for that ?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 660
    Last year I fitted one to an old Tokai pickup I have in one of my partscasters. It definitely changed the tone and loses some of the spikyness, 

I'm not convinced I prefer it but can't be ar*ed at the moment to open up the guitar and remove it to do an AB test :)..