Tung oil neck finish...

How long should I wait between applying new coats? How many coats? Steel wool 0000 between coats? Any help much appreciated, I know there are experts around here, thanks! :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    edited June 2016
    Tung Oil is great except it takes an age to dry between coats.

I use this which is a natural Food & Toy grade Danish Oil (Tung oil with natural drying agent). 

It goes on great and drys in 24 hours.

I don't use steel wool but 2000 grade wet 'n' dry, using it to sand the oil as its applied from the third coat onward (I apply five coats, the first 2 being very liberal)

After 30 minutes wipe excess off with a non linting cloth or kitchen towel on each coat

The finish is superb and the playability on the neck with sweaty hands is well worth the effort.

Cheers

Mark
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Tung Oil is great except it takes an age to dry between coats.

I use this which is a natural Food & Toy grade Danish Oil (Tung oil with natural drying agent). 

It goes on great and drys in 24 hours.

I don't use steel wool but 2000 grade wet 'n' dry, using it to sand the oil as its applied from the third coat onward (I apply five coats, the first 2 being very liberal)

After 30 minutes wipe excess off with a non linting cloth or kitchen towel on each coat

The finish is superb and the playability on the neck with sweaty hands is well worth the effort.

Cheers

Mark
    Thanks Mark, and how long do you think I should wait between the coats?

The thing is, I had Danish and Tru Oil but decided to go for Tung oil, don't know why, I wish I'd asked before I applied the first coat, it's too late now I'm afraid..
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6185
    I used Danish oil on a raw tele neck a while ago. Approx six coats, used a scouring pad gently between coats. I put the neck away and forgot about it for about 4 months. When I got it back out the finish had gone rock hard with a slight gloss look, the slight tackiness that Danish oil can leave had totally disappeared leaving a really beautiful, resilient finish.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990

if you are after a supersleek feeling neck and are willing to put a bit of effort in - try this method

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/235/oil-finishes-little-tutorial-for-my-wet-sanded-oil-finish-technique/p1

Its messy and more time consuming than a plain oil finish.  But  it ends up very thin and feels better than anything else...the result is more like super polished wood.

WezV said:

if you are after a supersleek feeling neck and are willing to put a bit of effort in - try this method

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/235/oil-finishes-little-tutorial-for-my-wet-sanded-oil-finish-technique/p1

Its messy and more time consuming than a plain oil finish.  But  it ends up very thin and feels better than anything else...the result is more like super polished wood.

Thanks!!
    Elx said:

The thing is, I had Danish and Tru Oil but decided to go for Tung oil, don't know why, I wish I'd asked before I applied the first coat, it's too late now I'm afraid..
    No problem with using the Danish Oil I showed in the link on top of the Tung Oil you have already applied.  Thats what I did when I realised pure Tung Oil was still wet after a week.

The Food Grade Danish Oil dried after 24 hours so I was applying one coat a day.

Be aware that there are different types of Danish Oil.  The local DIY stuff has nasty chemicals to increase drying time.  The Food stuff I use is exceptional and gives a great finish.

I also wet sand the finish as I apply (hence 2000 grade wet 'n' dry).

Ta
    Elx said:

No problem with using the Danish Oil I showed in the link on top of the Tung Oil you have already applied.  Thats what I did when I realised pure Tung Oil was still wet after a week.

The Food Grade Danish Oil dried after 24 hours so I was applying one coat a day.

Be aware that there are different types of Danish Oil.  The local DIY stuff has nasty chemicals to increase drying time.  The Food stuff I use is exceptional and gives a great finish.

I also wet sand the finish as I apply (hence 2000 grade wet 'n' dry).

Ta
    Do you know this brand?

I think its one with the chemical drying agents in.

The stuff I use is the only one I've found which is a food grade (after drying) Danish Oil.

Unless someone could correct me?