"Flogging a dead horse" -- book?

What's Hot
GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
Total long shot but here goes:
I read a book which contained a description of how this fella finally split up with his girlfriend.  The description totally nailed (to my mind) that feeling of both of them knowing the relationship has completely had it, there's nothing left, but they still carry on to the bitter end

In the book the fella and his gf either met before university, or at it, (or maybe uni wasn't involved at all but they were about that age).  It wasn't fiction, it was basically biographical, and the fella and his gf were in the UK and I reckon it was the 1980s (but could be a decade either way).

I thought it was a book by Stuart Maconie and I still can't shake the feeling.  I got another copy of "Cider with Roadies" but can't find what I'm looking for.  I also searched on my kindle "Pies and Prejudice" and what I'm looking for doesn't appear to be there either. 

Any takers?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    It wasn't about a bloke who was into bdsm, necrophilia, and bestiality, was it? ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Pretty sure it's not Stuart Maconie, unless he's drastically changed his style. Everything I've read of his has been like Bill Bryson.

Don't recognise the book though. Tony Parsons maybe ?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Cheers -- I should have said that it was a humorous description of a dying relationship -- but I've now gone through all 4 of my Stuart Maconie books and I can't pin it on him.  I've not read Tony Parsons.   I think I'm just going to have to let this one go...

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Sounds like Nick Hornby - fever pitch, or any of his other books to be honest.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    edited June 2016
    Flyf Fishing by J R Hartley?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom