What are these dark terrors like?

gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
I have an Orange TH30 that has been my main gigging amp for a few years and I really like it - I was thinking about getting a lunchbox amp though for taking to practice and as a backup. Is the dark terror similar in tone to the TH30? What about the #4 Jim Root version? I see that one has a 3 band eq which is quite cool.

Any thoughts on these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've had a TH30 before (actually i've had 2), and there fantastic amps.. I also have a Dark Terror that I use just as you say, for practices and backup. The Dark Terror doesn't have the balls of the TH30 IMHO, however it's still a fantastic amp, and plenty loud enough for gigging (unless you want crystal cleans) and perfect as a backup due to it's small size.
  • Didn't like the dark terror. Not ballsy, bit fizzy and didn't clean up that well.

The Jim root terror on the other hand is one of the best sounding hard rock amps I've ever heard, and cleans up even with high gain settings.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    can't say I've noticed mine being fizzy.. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    ...you can *only* play them AFTER EIGHT
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Loved my Dark Terror...remember one gig we did with a Polish death metal band. They finished their set and their guitarist took down his 100w Mesa, looked at my tiny DT and laughed a kind of "ha ha are you serious?!" kind of laugh....

Might only be 15w but it's such a good sound that comes out of that little black box.