Van Halen at their absolute best

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2225
    Don't get me wrong. I love DLR. Eat Em And Smile and Skyscraper are 2 of my all time favourite albums ever. 
    The only 2 albums I still have on vinyl!...
    Great live clip at the OP.

But another +1 for Eat Em And Smile, which is my favourite rock album.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think skyscraper is up there with Eat em and smile. I may be biased though as Vai is my favourite player

Was a great writing partnership though and great that Vai was aloud to put his stamp all over it

Once he joined Whitesnake is was very much run of the mill rock solos which was obviously more in keeping with what the band were about
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    The first Van Hagar album is really good. Some amazing songs but a little too syth-heavy in some places for me. However, stuff like "Summer Nights" is quintessential Eddie. The vocals are a major improvement over DLR's.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I equally love the best bits of DLR-era Van Halen, most of Van Hagar up to about half of Balance, and chunks of Eat 'Em and Smile.

Skyscraper was a poor follow up and I've made no time for the Cherone album beyond clips.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533

That early DLR stuff is great, it sounds what it is, a live band playing together, capturing the energy even if that did mean leaving some mistakes in. I like the Sammy period too, certainly he was a better singer than Dave but oddly enough I prefer Dave even if he is late and out of tune half the time live. 
    Eat am & Smile and Skyscraper were great as well, I saw one gig of the tour 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969;1107300" said:
    Eat am & Smile and Skyscraper were great as well, I saw one gig of the tour 
    Seriously jealous right now
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    I had the OP vid on VHS tape!

Such a massive guitar sound, but with surprisingly little distortion on it. Sounds amazing.

EVH was a massive twonk for firing Michael Anthony, even if they are now using his vocals on a backing tape!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    You're all wrong because the best VH era was in the 70's. That debut album is awesome, and they should have changed the name of the band when Sammy joined. It just sounded like Sammy Hagar with a backing band.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6233
    For me, the best Van Halen moment was first album, first track
    Absolutely outstanding.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"