What does everyone's other halves spend money on

What's Hot
MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
When I'm older and have some disposable income I know I will want to buy guitars, amps, motorbikes, other cool shit etc.

I'm not talking about like 50 quid here and there. Thinking more like saving up for a long while and spending a 4/5 figure sum on something.

Guitars and bikes somewhat hold their value, some go up, almost all go down. Makeup and hair dressers however are consumables and one offs, you will never see that money again.

So what do the fretboarders wives association invest in/collect/save up for?
I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    Books, wine and travel. 

In terms of big stuff travel is obviously the big one there. But I get to go with her, so it's all good. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    edited June 2016
    Holidays and garden centre things... wicker shit, fragrant candles etc.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    Horses - not had a GAS related discussion in a long while ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Shoe's handbags, clothes, make-up, hair and holidays.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    edited June 2016

My wife spends most of her money on her horse, and everything associated with that. Livery fees, feed, bedding, competition entry fees, the £10k she spent on a 3 and a half tonne horsebox, a saddle for dressage, a saddle for jumping, and various other bits of crap that are needed. Its actually mind blowing what she has to shell out on a monthly basis.

In a way though, this is good, because she cant really say anything if I feel like buying something new :)  The other day, she told me that she needed to get some new rubber matting put down in the back of her lorry (not a euphemism), and told me how much it would cost. "That's ok", I said, " Ive seen a nice Candy Apple red double bound telecaster I quite fancy"...she 'sort of' smiled :)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    The only stuff we've ever spent four-figure sums on have been things in the house- had a new bathroom and a new kitchen fitted- or big things like the deposit we paid on the house, new cars etc. That's what Mrs_bob always seems to want to spend money on.

Actually, the last remotely significant purchase I can remember us making was a NAS to store all our music on. That was around Christmas time, and I'm finally getting to the end of the CDs!

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Books, art, pottery, garden stuff, clothes, holidays.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Same as everyone else by the look of it, but nothing outrageously expensive. Clothes/shoes/makeup/garden stuff/cushions (what is it with women and bloody cushions?) She does watercolour painting and buys the odd expensive brush, but that's about it. Our big expenditure is on travel, but then we both go so it's a win/win.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Dog stuff these days. My wife is pretty good. She doesn't spend that much money of stuff willy nilly...And we've jut bought a car so even less so now...but it is her 30th this year AND I've already booked to go Skiing in January...so I'm sure she'll want to go somewhere or have something of value for her birthday which I'll be paying off for the next few years :-\
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    flowers, candles, wine, clothes and things for making cards. typical womanly crap.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    edited June 2016
    joneve;1109814" said:
    Dog stuff these days. My wife is pretty good. She doesn't spend that much money of stuff willy nilly...And we've jut bought a car so even less so now...but it is her 30th this year AND I've already booked to go Skiing in January...so I'm sure she'll want to go somewhere or have something of value for her birthday which I'll be paying off for the next few years :-\
    Get a trip, then you can both enjoy it. Experiences are much better than possessions anyway IMO. My wife is 60 next year. She paid for us to go to Venice for my 60th, so I've pulled all the stops out for hers. Booked an Alaskan cruise and a trip through the Rockies by railway.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    boogieman said:
    joneve;1109814" said:
    Get a trip, then you can both enjoy it. Experiences are much better than possessions anyway IMO. My wife is 60 next year. She paid for us to go to Venice for my 60th, so I've pulled all the stops out for hers. Booked an Alaskan cruise and a trip through the Rockies by railway.

Yep, that's the plan I think. She wants to go to Iceland, but I don't have the holiday left to take (due to ski-tripGATE)...she she may end up going with her Mum (which she'd be totally fine with)...Or we'll go somewhere nice for our second week off in September as she's not had a "hot" holiday abroad since our Honeymoon to Australia 3 years ago. 
  • Daughters, hair, daughters, nails, daughters, clothes, daughters, shoes, .......
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    Daughters, hair, daughters, nails, daughters, clothes, daughters, shoes, .......
    Shit. How many daughters has she bought?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Actually, not too much these days.

Louis Vuitton handbags and other accessories are probably top of the list, but she hasn't pushed that particular boat out for a long time now. She doesn't have her nails done any more, reverting back to her own nails, and DIY paintjobs. She does spend money on the house on occasion.

Gordon's gin shares have risen of late, though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5601
    Clothes, and more clothes.
    Then she spends the same again in petrol taking them all back the next day for a refund/exchange. Why can't women try stuff on before they buy?
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770
    Make Up - she's a make up artist and I'm fairly sure that she now has spent enough with MAC to be a significant shareholder.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    Nothing really.

She's a compulsive saver. As that is the opposite of my approach, it's a very welcome trait.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

She spends very, very little. I can't actually think of any hobby or interest where she actually spends more than a couple of hundred a year. Maybe going for a coffee every Thursday with friends is her biggest outgoing throughout the year.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Disappointed that no-one has claimed 'hookers and coke' yet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom