A dumbQ from a non-FXer

TTonyTTony Frets: 28424

OK, let me admit something. 

(Deep breath).

I don't really use FX.  I've had a few of the multi-fx boxes over the years, but have never really used them much either.

Right now, my "pedalboard" is a Line6 M9.  Seems to do most things I want, except ... maybe a volume pedal type thing, so that I could fade in / out some of the fx.  It's the fault of @Phil_aka_Pip who did some aurally pleasing stuff with his pedal board at the EA GasFest a while back, which got me thinking that perhaps I should venture into this unknown territory.

So the dumbQ ... do I need one of the Line6 expression pedals (EX-1), or would any standard volume/expression pedal do the job?  And what are the good/bad ones?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    You can use any one - I used a couple of bog standard Bespeco ones; they worked fine :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • I have the Ernie Ball VPJr 25k with my M9. Works a treat 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • The Line6 expression pedal is a passive 10K ohm mono linear taper pot, using a standard 1/4 inch mono instrument cable. Anything of this spec should do. The expression pedal on the M-series effects is really the best kept secret about the device. You can pretty much adjust any parameter on a patch either up or down or down or up (if that makes sense). I find a good way of using it is to take a drive patch (the Drive Comp is a good one) and set a parameter to go down (volume) and the other to go up (gain) so you get the same volume but with more dirt as you work the pedal. You can also boost or cut any of the five values in the EQ patch, change the speed of the tremolo, change delay times etc .

The best thing is that YOU CAN DO ALL OF THIS ON ALL PATCHES AT ONCE.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28424

Thanks guys.

I have the Ernie Ball VPJr 25k with my M9. Works a treat 

Pricey, pricey!!

Lixarto said:
    You can use any one - I used a couple of bog standard Bespeco ones; they worked fine :)

That's more like it.

:)

• @ttony I have a Roland EV-5 sat around doing nothing if your interested? I assume it would work with the M9... I was using it with a Nova system previously
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28424
    @markslade07 - I shall PM you :)