Mastery vs Staytrem

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
Hey guys, let's do this again!

I have a Staytrem on my MJT and I have to admit I'm not loving it. It sounds good in general, but gives a pingy sounding high e string and the strings touch the back of the screws/baseplate. So I'm considering a Mastery as it would certainly fix those issues, but obviously introduce minor compromise on intonation and radius, and looks like a piece of a bicycle, for better or worse. 

Has anyone tried both the same guitar?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    Good thing is, you can buy both and sell on whichever you don't keep without losing much money :)

FWIW I have both, kept both! .. but using the Mastery. They both have their weaknesses, depends what you like and how you play. I'm convinced the Mastery makes the tremolo action feel and sound pretty different, almost strat-like, as opposed to the gliding effect you get when the bridge sways as per the traditional setup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I guess the non-rocking bit of the Mastery will change the feel of the trem, and presumably how much a note flattens for a given movement of the arm. That probably doesn't bother me as I'm not used to it yet anyway with the Staytrem.

I know the answer will be "buy & try" in the end...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
    Why do some builders like Fano and K-Line put Bigsby units on their Jazzmaster copies?

Is a Bigsby a better vibrato system?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    Danchi;1110988" said:
    Why do some builders like Fano and K-Line put Bigsby units on their Jazzmaster copies?

It's easier to source. As far as I know only fender make Jazzmaster Vibratos and they don't sell them.
  • I put a Staytrem on my jaguar and thought it was a massive improvement on the original (rattly bridge). 
    I can't comment on the Mastery bridge, but never noticed any "pinging"etc
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    Danchi;1110988" said:

It's easier to source. As far as I know only fender make Jazzmaster Vibratos and they don't sell them.
    Gotoh make one, as do AllParts (albeit it's probably the same unit in different packaging). I've seen some cheaper unbranded ones too, but couldn't speak about the quality of them.
  • DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
    Danchi;1110988" said:

Gotoh make one, as do AllParts (albeit it's probably the same unit in different packaging). I've seen some cheaper unbranded ones too, but couldn't speak about the quality of them.
    Do Gotoh and Allparts sell the JM Trem Lock system? I couldn't see it :-(
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Very few aftermarket trems have the lock button. The Fender AVRI and MIJ one do, and the StewMac one does but I'm not aware of any others
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    I have a Mastery on my Jazzmaster and a Staytrem on my Jaguar.

They're both quite nice, a genuine improvement on the stock bridges. The Staytrem seems like a big improvement on the stock bridge but still feels stock- playing my Jaguar feels like playing a Jaguar but an improved Jag.

The Mastery feels much more solid. On my JM the bridge feels lower and more sturdy, like I'm playing a Gibson style bridge. It's good though, but doesn't feel like your standard wobbily offset.

No real negatives with the Mastery in my view, I quite like the extra sturdyness (my JM is my rock gigging guitar, I like Brand New too much) but at home the Staytrem feels more Jaguar-ish. My Staytrem touches the strings behind the bridge, I don't notice as much when I'm actually playing the guitar, it's something of a compromise for the extra stability over the stock bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 649
    Had both on guitars that we've had through and for me  the mastery is streets ahead.
    When I'm spec'ing up guitars with this sort of unit I always go for the Mastery. If you want to try one we'll have a Novo Sectis in next week that has a Mastery and a few Bilts 2 weeks away that all have them...
    A well setup Jazzmaster trem can be a great thing too but you'll need at least a set of 11's on it...

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
    Tried both on my Jazzmaster. Preferred the staytrem on there for the darker sound but the Mastery was clearer and rang out more.

However I had the same problem with the back of the staytrem on my Jaguar so have ordered another Mastery - should be here any day.

Both have pros and cons and a huge amount of it is personal preference!!

However, best tone I got was using my Bass VI staytrem bridge on my Jazzmaster. That was a beefy, beefy sound. Shame the saddle grooves were too wide!!
  • Hey guys, let's do this again!

I have a Staytrem on my MJT and I have to admit I'm not loving it. It sounds good in general, but gives a pingy sounding high e string and the strings touch the back of the screws/baseplate. So I'm considering a Mastery as it would certainly fix those issues, but obviously introduce minor compromise on intonation and radius, and looks like a piece of a bicycle, for better or worse. 

Hi Stickyfiddle, that pingy sound shouldn't be happening. Follow these instructions on the Staytrem site to re-tension the retaining disc. Hopefully this will resolve your issue.

http://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002362/Categories/Content_page1
  • Jagged said:

Hi Stickyfiddle, that pingy sound shouldn't be happening. Follow these instructions on the Staytrem site to re-tension the retaining disc. Hopefully this will resolve your issue.

http://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002362/Categories/Content_page1
    Cheers. I did that and added a string tree from the B & E strings and between them I got it sorted (suspect it was the string street more than the bridge, to be fair to Staytrem). I'd still prefer the saddles to be a tiny bit taller, but apart from that it's a great bridge once it's sorted.
  • Have a Mastery on my Jag, and had one on my JM too, but switched out the latter for a Staytrem as the Mastery just wasn't working for it at all. Needed constant adjustment and never settled. The staytrem is night and day on that guitar, 100% improvement. I love the sonics of a Mastery, but don't be fooled into thinking they're a fix-all; they are in fact capable of all the same faults as a stock bridge when it comes to buzzes and rattles. Staytrem is a set and forget. 
  • Sad to say it but the fact that this question is a regular occurrence is what puts me off Jags and Jazzies. Big style. I just can't be faffed.
  • Sad to say it but the fact that this question is a regular occurrence is what puts me off Jags and Jazzies. Big style. I just can't be faffed.
    It's not that bad really. After my initially fussing the staytrem has now been on my JM for 8 months without even a hint of a tweak to the setup. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    edited February 2017
    5 pages...

And @meltedbuzzbox will return to fight to the death...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hadn't clocked that this was an old thread!
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934

Set it properly and it all good ! ;)
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Gassage said:
    5 pages...

And @meltedbuzzbox will return to fight to the death...
    Beat me to it :)