BOSS chromatic tuner FREE on Android (and IOS)

WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
You can get a free fully working TU-3 for your phone and did I say that it's free??????????

100% free!!!!!!!!! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5026
    Thanks for the tipoff @Wolfetone
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Ah, must have missed the last thread.

Thanks for the heads up

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nice just got I thanks

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Cheers @Wolfetone
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Much as I love the Boss TU-2 and TU-3, I'm still using the TC Polytune app and have no plan to change. It was a whole £3, but it paid for itself the first time I used it to set up a guitar with a floating trem. The all-strings-at-once tuning is the killer feature, anything that doesn't do that is now a non-starter for a phone app tuner, for me.

It also doesn't have a switch to break, unlike the hardware one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7897
    Tried it, crap. Da tuner or the polytune is way better.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited June 2016
    I just tried it and it was fine. Pluck string and adjust string tension until the app shows green. How can it be crap? Am I missing something?

Thanks @TheMarlin and @Wolfetone.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Thanks for the PSA -   just downloaded it,  I think I prefer the polytune app as well but I got that for free - now it costs money its probably not a fair comparison.  As a free tuner the boss one is pretty good.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    I just tried it. The first thing I found was that the Stream button doesn't work. Since that's one of the features I like best on the TU-2/3, that's a fail right away.

The Mode button doesn't either.

On top of that the display is smaller and harder to read than the Polytune, largely because they've made it too much of a picture of a real TU with a border round it.

Sorry Boss, this isn't good enough even for free really.

In fact its main purpose seems to be to push the 'News' adverts...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Chalky said:
    I just tried it and it was fine. Pluck string and adjust string tension until the app shows green. How can it be crap? Am I missing something?

me too, works fine for me, tested it against 2 standalone tuners and a tuner on Boss ME-70 and all were consistent.

cannot fault it for free
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    strumjoughlamps;1116014" said:
    Chalky said:

me too, works fine for me, tested it against 2 standalone tuners and a tuner on Boss ME-70 and all were consistent.

cannot fault it for free
    All I would ever use a tuner for is to tune my guitar at concert pitch. This does it just fine!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    Given that I've already got DA Tuner it's not really worth my while as it doesn't sound like an improvement.

It might be worth looking at the Polytune one though.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    I've got the Petersen app, it's great.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9777
    ICBM said:
    I just tried it. The first thing I found was that the Stream button doesn't work. Since that's one of the features I like best on the TU-2/3, that's a fail right away.

The Mode button doesn't either.

In fact its main purpose seems to be to push the 'News' adverts...
    To be fair, the instructions say that stream and mode don't work "now", which suggests they might with a future update. I agree about the news thing, but I'd like to hear about new Boss products anyway. There is also a sensitivity adjustment slider, which may help people who've found that it doesn't work well for them.

I got the Polytune app before I even had an iPhone (downloaded it in iTunes when I heard it was free), and that is my go-to phone tuner.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    S'alright for nowt, I guess.

Polytune is better, though.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've got better apps, but it's free! So no complaints here
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7897
    @chalky, you cant see small increments on it and the needle swing is haphazard. I like tuning my E-G to -2 cents open (I use Feiten intonation offsets) and use my tuning app to actually set the intonation on my guitars acoustically.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Winny_Pooh;1116692" said:
    @chalky, you cant see small increments on it and the needle swing is haphazard. I like tuning my E-G to -2 cents open (I use Feiten intonation offsets) and use my tuning app to actually set the intonation on my guitars acoustically.
    Fair enough - you need a lot more complexity than me ;)
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    For an on the fly tuner it's pretty bloody good-you're not gonna intonate your guitar with it but that's not what it's for.

Good piece of kit and better than the last free phone tuner I had.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1