Child Seats - anyone using Recaro Monza2's

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7057
It's time for new car seats!

In the past and based on which reviews we went for Kiddy Energy Pro's. We need the next stage now and the Recaro looks good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RECARO-Monza-Nova-Seatfix-Black/dp/B00CKJ8OW0

I'm no longer subscribed to Which but probably will do before I have to fork out £300 (we have to buy two).

A glowing user review from here might swing it though. It's supposed to be. Which Best Buy so confident it's decent.

It has built in speakers which is a bit gimmicky but could prove useful on long journeys.
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    No, I sit in regular seats.

(If you want me to pull a Which review, just ask- I've got access, yo).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Just make sure the belt's clicked in and child can't unclick it.

Forget the 'glamour'. Seriously.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    We had a previous version (it's been a few years now) and still have it to use if we have friends with small children visiting.  Fantastic build quality, feels very sturdy.  Ours has removable covers in case of accidents, and a spare set.  Large range of adjustment for a wide range of ages and easy to fit and get the children in and out of. Very secure once it's in place.

If we needed a new one it would be the first one we would look at.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7057
    edited June 2016
    jd0272;1116046" said:
    Just make sure the belt's clicked in and child can't unclick it.

It's not about glamour it's about safety. The Which scores are crash tested and we bought the previous ones based on that and some very positive user reviews.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6328
    tFB Trader
    I had the previous monza, it was great., really comfortable for my son, kept him secure, lasted for years, removable covers for washing. Couldn't fault it at all and seemed much more sturdy compared to the other brands I tried.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Should add that we used ours for quite a few journeys to and from the South of France and our daughter was perfectly comfortable in it for quite a few hours between stops.
    edited June 2016
    octatonic;1116038" said:

Ah you're in the big boy's seat now?!

Really appreciate the offer but I've just signed up for the £1 trial to access the reviews - I didn't think I could being a previous member but a change of address has probably allowed it.

I'll extend the same offer to anyone on here (within the next month) if they want a review to help buy a new toaster, man bag, white goods, car seat etc etc I'll pull it up for them.

Thanks @richardj and @thorpyfx it seems to ticks reasonable cost and good safety results box. I'd go with the next size Kiddy but I felt the existing ones were a bit flimsy and the material hasn't worn well. So time for a change.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Iamnobody said:
    octatonic;1116038" said:

Ah you're in the big boy's seat now?!

Really appreciate the offer but I've just signed up for the £1 trial to access the reviews - I didn't think I could being a previous member but a change of address has probably allowed it.

I'll extend the same offer to anyone on here (within the next month) if they want a review to help buy a new toaster, man bag, white goods, car seat etc etc I'll pull it up for them.

Thanks @richardj and @thorpyfx it seems to ticks reasonable cost and good safety results box. I'd go with the next size Kiddy but I felt the existing ones were a bit flimsy and the material hasn't worn well. So time for a change.
    Call me 'big boy' again, please.

No worries. :)
    Iamnobody;1116050" said:
    [quote="jd0272;1116046"]Just make sure the belt's clicked in and child can't unclick it.

It's not about glamour it's about safety. The Which scores are crash tested and we bought the previous ones based on that and some very positive user reviews.[/quote]

Actually, it's about the child being 'secure' in an appropriate seating position, that's comfortable for the child and safe.

And more actually, it's about the ability of the fckr behind the wheel, and their ability to not kill everyone in the vehicle.

Test scores are based, as are all things scored, on 'ideal' conditions/situations.

I'm a father of three. They're all alive.

The glamour aspect is referencing a brand. Which means fuck all frankly.
    edited June 2016
    jd0272;1116184" said:
    [quote="Iamnobody;1116050"][quote="jd0272;1116046"]Just make sure the belt's clicked in and child can't unclick it.

It's not about glamour it's about safety. The Which scores are crash tested and we bought the previous ones based on that and some very positive user reviews.[/quote]

Actually, it's about the child being 'secure' in an appropriate seating position, that's comfortable for the child and safe

And more actually, it's about the ability of the fckr behind the wheel, and their ability to not kill everyone in the vehicle.

Test scores are based, as are all things scored, on 'ideal' conditions/situations.

The glamour aspect is referencing a brand. Which means fuck all frankly.[/quote]

Brands will always get more exposure - the thirty quid Asda own brand might be the best car seat in the world. Which probably won't test it so we will never find out.

Of course testing is in ideal conditions but it's still probably the best information out there.

Not sure how to take your comment about your kids still being alive. Does this mean you didn't put them in a car? Didn't put them in car seats? Just bought the cheapest and spent the rest on guitars?

I'm sure the woman who pulled up next to me at the lights with two kids unrestrained and texting on her phone would say she has two kids that are still alive...

I'd like to think I'm taking a proportionately responsible attitude with regards to my kids' safety.

And I assure you this fucker drives well kids in the car or not.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3096
    Can't remember how much we spent on car seats for our two but I do remember thinking that driving a standard saloon, car seats would make no difference at all if we got t-boned by a Range Rover or similar.
    Iamnobody;1116244" said:
    [quote="jd0272;1116184"][quote="Iamnobody;1116050"][quote="jd0272;1116046"]Just make sure the belt's clicked in and child can't unclick it.

Actually, it's about the child being 'secure' in an appropriate seating position, that's comfortable for the child and safe

The glamour aspect is referencing a brand. Which means fuck all frankly.[/quote]

Brands will always get more exposure - the thirty quid Asda own brand might be the best car seat in the world. Which probably won't test it so we will never find out.

Of course testing is in ideal conditions but it's still probably the best information out there.

Not sure how to take your comment about your kids still being alive. Does this mean you didn't put them in a car? Didn't put them in car seats? Just bought the cheapest and spent the rest on guitars?

I'm sure the woman who pulled up next to me at the lights with two kids unrestrained and texting on her phone would say she has two kids that are still alive...

I'd like to think I'm taking a proportionately responsible attitude with regards to my kids' safety.

And I assure you this fucker drives well kids in the car or not. [/quote]

In sure you do. I take a perfectly responsible attitude to my children's safety also, as they are the most important aspect of my life.

And no, didn't buy the cheapest, I find the Graco's perfectly suitable for the purpose they're intended. Although I'm sure that having a different brand label on makes a 'safer'seat.

Reviews are like statistics. Make of that what you will really.
    Really not sure why you feel the need to pull me up about this and bleat on about brand names.

The car seats could be called @jd7072 for all I care as long as the information available to me suggests they are a good seat.

You do realise Graco is also a brand name?

I understand your feelings about the Which testing but out of their ten don't buy seats two are Graco...

As I said we have Kiddy seats at the moment; the equivalent Kiddy are more expensive than the Recaro one so I'm not being seduced by brand name or perceived quality based on an expensive price tag.

Do you tell everyone not to buy Gibsons because it's just a brand label and an Epiphone is suitable for the intended purpose?