Facebook 'out of the blue' friend requests

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
I'm sure we all get them - A friend request from a beautiful girl in a different country, no info anywhere else on the profile except a couple more pictures of them, and a few plonker 'friends' who have accepted the request.

What's that all about? Surely some kind of scam or information harvesting, but I'm not sure what it would be?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    You could just refuse them and not worry about it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    You're just a tempted dirty old man! Stop trying to claim 'intellectual interest' or worse, 'research'... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    They are better on Instagram. More to look at normally.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Yes, I do refuse them, I'm just wondering what purpose they serve for the creator? I'm 99.9% certain that in most cases the photos are not of the person who sets it up.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

I got one yesterday from someone called 'Pei Pei Lee' and the profile picture is the bottom half of what I assume is a young lady wearing high heeled thigh length boots.

I refused...

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    axisus said:
    Yes, I do refuse them, I'm just wondering what purpose they serve for the creator? I'm 99.9% certain that in most cases the photos are not of the person who sets it up.
    Access to your friends list and information for marketing purposes. Selling your info onwards.

Just like many smart phone apps get permission to harvest your contact list and numbers.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Slightly more sinister, I've had 'requests' from people I'm already friends with, about three in the last week.  There seems to be a mild spate of account hacking going on at the moment.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I get them on instagram quite often, maybe 2 or 3 a week. I guess they are spammy requests unless the world IS actually full of super hot women who love pictures of me fishing.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13039
    The ones I find weirder are the requests from real people, but who have absolutely no reason to add you. For instance, parents of an old University friend who I haven't seen for five years and barely interact with on Facebook. Or a friend's Aunt who *they* barely see and I've never met.

I always thought it was just people pushing the "add friend" button by accident but it seems to happen quite a lot.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    axisus said:
    I'm sure we all get them - A friend request from a beautiful girl in a different country, no info anywhere else on the profile except a couple more pictures of them, and a few plonker 'friends' who have accepted the request.

What's that all about? Surely some kind of scam or information harvesting, but I'm not sure what it would be?
    In reality it's a fat bald bloke using his iPad whilst having a shit which a stock photo of a pretty girl .. fix that image in your brain and you can ignore/reject them.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    randella said:
    Slightly more sinister, I've had 'requests' from people I'm already friends with, about three in the last week.  There seems to be a mild spate of account hacking going on at the moment.
    Doesn't have to be hacking at all - they just look at profiles with a lot of public info, download the profile pic and use it to set up a new account with the exact same name. When you confirm the friend request, they grab hold of your profile and all the available info, then rinse and repeat.

Very effective way of making massive lists of contact info, which is then sellable.
    <space for hire>
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    randella said:
    Doesn't have to be hacking at all - they just look at profiles with a lot of public info, download the profile pic and use it to set up a new account with the exact same name. When you confirm the friend request, they grab hold of your profile and all the available info, then rinse and repeat.

Very effective way of making massive lists of contact info, which is then sellable.
    @digitalscream - "Cloning", then. :)

You do know that hauling a man up on his vocabulary on a Monday is listed as 'inhumane' under the Geneva Convention?

Or at least it should be.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090

I've had a few recently....  Totally gorgeous girls with vast bristols and plenty of flesh on show.

So, I click on the photo's and then the "mutual" friends list.   

Our mutual friend is always my sixteen year old son.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Fretwired said:
    axisus said:

In reality it's a fat bald bloke using his iPad whilst having a shit which a stock photo of a pretty girl .. fix that image in your brain and you can ignore/reject them.
    I've been rumbled.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I got one not 5 minutes ago, weird as I've not had one for months.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited June 2016
    If you want to get more of them, simply 'Like' the Facebook page of Match.com and you'll be inundated.....
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    lloyd said:

Ah, sorry, lloyd.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    chillidoggy;1118562" said:
    lloyd said:

Ah, sorry, lloyd.
    I was feeling lonely, so you cheered me up. Thanks.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1