How do you register, build & host a website ??

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
As part of my plan to control the world, I am setting up a company with a colleague and we will be having one of these fancy "web site" things.  I almost completed a signup with GoDaddy until I read that they have a terrible reputation and their CEO shoots endangered animals with other endangered animals fired from a cannon (or something like that).

So, I've worked out that I need to buy the domain name (which is currently unregistered - www.emptherapist.com) and I need to design a website and then get it hosted somewhere.  What do I do about email though ?  I'll need a few addresses I can use with "@emptherapist.com" on the end.  It's all very confusing and all of these sites offer all kinds of things in all kinds of bundles and special offers.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for registration/hosting etc companies please ?  Half the alleged "guides" I've read turn out to be craftily recommending a particular provider.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    I use Dreamhost- they handle everything- domain reg, hosting, email and their interface is easy to use.

I can do it all manually- I know how- but it takes longer and has no advantage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited June 2016
    I use 123reg for domains. You generally get emails with the hosting but it varies from host to host on how may. For hosting Ive used https://www.hostpapa.co.uk/web-hosting-plan/
     and a few other
    @Digitalscream might be able to give a better insight
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    See if you can get some web space through someone else.

Ask around friends and family and see if anyone has a reseller package.

You usually get lots of emails addresses so don't worry about that.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    I was advised to use Wordpress.....I did....and it seems ok.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited June 2016
    I'd agree on Wordpress.

By the way I've just bought your domain Emp. I'll sell you it for £500 though. Deal? ;)

Get it registered asap! 123reg is as good as any.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    If you're doing this as a proper business, then your website is your first impression.

If it's a bad first impression, then you've lost that potential customer.  They might give you 30secs, but if it's no good, they're click-and-gone.

So, whoever you use to host it (and I don't think it matters too much for what you're probably going to be doing) get the website designed properly.  By someone who knows how to design websites.  That bit *does* matter.

FWIW, in the 10-odd years that I've used 1and1 to host a series of websites, they've been fine for me.  But whoever you choose, you'll find someone around who's had problems with them, or knows of someone who has a neighbour, whose postman said that their daughter's cat had had all sorts of problems with them.  I could refer you and earn myself 0.005p, but I'd probably just send you a link to the page that offers the right deals.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    For an example of how to NOT market and sell your product, take a look at this site: http://www.sustainiac.com/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    axisus;1118646" said:
    For an example of how to NOT market and sell your product, take a look at this site: http://www.sustainiac.com/
    You know nothing.
    http://www.themostamazingwebsiteontheinternet.com

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Emp_Fab said:
    As part of my plan to control the world, I am setting up a company with a colleague and we will be having one of these fancy "web site" things.  I almost completed a signup with GoDaddy until I read that they have a terrible reputation and their CEO shoots endangered animals with other endangered animals fired from a cannon (or something like that).

So, I've worked out that I need to buy the domain name (which is currently unregistered - www.emptherapist.com) and I need to design a website and then get it hosted somewhere.  What do I do about email though ?  I'll need a few addresses I can use with "@emptherapist.com" on the end.  It's all very confusing and all of these sites offer all kinds of things in all kinds of bundles and special offers.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for registration/hosting etc companies please ?  Half the alleged "guides" I've read turn out to be craftily recommending a particular provider.
    Are you serious?  Emp The Rapist?    :-O
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    edited June 2016
    Beat me to it :). I'm hoping he is taking the piss
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Well, if he wants to conquer the world, there will have to be some pillage as well.

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1614
    by the name off easily.com

Build / host the site on either square space, wordpress or cargo collective.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited June 2016
    Emptherapist? Seriously?

LaminEmp would be better, and in any case I thought you were a bit of a software wizard?

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    WezV said:
    What do you think ?

:-\"
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    Nitefly said:
    Are you serious?  Emp The Rapist?    :-O
    Well, better than his previous idea of a site to get young people interested in calligraphy - penisfunforkids .com
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    Emp_Fab said:
    WezV said:
    What do you think ?

:-\"
    We really never can tell ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1531
    Weebly is pretty good.

I think they do the whole package now, including domain hosting etc. It was free when I signed up, so is worth trying just to see if you like it. They only charge you for upgrading (using your own URL, and losing the "hosted by weebly" from the footer).
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    I'd never recommend a friend to use 123Reg.

But seeing as it's Emp...
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited June 2016
    For an all-in-one solution, and alternative to Wordpress (which can be a ball ache if you really want to branch out), then try Squarespace. They provide in-built services, provide you with a domain and you get a free trial at first to test the waters. Actually it's really similar to Weebly.

Or wait for another six months and I can build you one...heh.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited June 2016
    Double post.