Les Paul Junior Mods for the inexperienced

What's Hot
BumFaceBumFace Frets: 114
edited June 2016 in Making & Modding
I'm after some advice/suggestions from those of you that have experience will Les Paul Juniors, replacing parts etc, in particular the 2015 model.

I'm going to replace the self tuning thing with Locking Grover Rotomatics. I've got these on a couple of other guitars and they are solid as a rock.

I've been told that this, along with the desire to use 11's,  will lead to the nut having to be replaced? I've seen this done on one guitar, but to be honest I thought it was a piss poor job. Has anyone changed the tuners and left the zerofret brass nut thing on? wondering how it would function (I guess the best thing is to try it out?)

I have also heard that the bridge can be replaced with something much better?  I have heard that Tonepros bridges on a Junior are a vast improvement? Anyone any thoughts on this?

I'd be grateful for any advice from modders, lutihers etc that have experience of modding juniors, particularly these 2015 cricket bat style ones, and possibly looking for someone to do the work (nut, bridge, etc).

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are you unhappy with the way the guitar sounds & plays? If you're happy already, why mod it?

A the nut would be fine with different strings. Gibson will replace the brass one for a titanium one at a massive charge of £0, it just screws in. So that's one easy mod you can do yourself.

Taking the auto tuners off is simple too. It just unscrews & again your new tuners just bolt into place easily.

One thing I like on a junior is 50s wiring. Not having a 2015 jr I don't know what the pots etc are like, but the 2006 one I had was made much more versatile by this simple mod. It just involves switching some of the existing wiring from one tab on the pots to another- this gives you a much broader tonal palette to play with. I did it myself in about 5mins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990
    The nut wont need changing unless you want to. Its specifically designed to accommodate a wide range of string gauges
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Have you got the Titanium replacement nut that Gibson give out to replace the brass nut? With that there may be no issue. Another option if you don't want to completely replace the nut could be a tusq one - Graphtech do a drop in one for 2015 models
  • BumFaceBumFace Frets: 114
    Are you unhappy with the way the guitar sounds & plays? If you're happy already, why mod it?

Extremely unhappy. I wasn't expecting much for £350, but the way it played out of the box was shocking. It felt like a toy.  I;'ve heard others say that they really like it stock, maybe theirs were set up by the shop.  Mine wasn't. No ticks on the 'tick card', covered in dusty shit (which I presume came from the weird 'cryo' strings, which sound new but feel old and leave a load of crap all over yer fingers.

A the nut would be fine with different strings. Gibson will replace the brass one for a titanium one at a massive charge of £0, it just screws in. So that's one easy mod you can do yourself.

Nice one - thanks for the info - I've emailed them.

Taking the auto tuners off is simple too. It just unscrews & again your new tuners just bolt into place easily.

That gave me confidence.  I've just done it, and already there's a massive improvement.  It stays in tune much better.  The autotune thing worked ok, but it would slip out far too often, meaning a press of the button.  This appears to be much more stable, and I haven't even screwed the Grovers into position. Gold old Grovers. The nut sort of works ok so far, but I've got a feeling there's going to be issues when I get it properly set up.

One thing I like on a junior is 50s wiring. Not having a 2015 jr I don't know what the pots etc are like, but the 2006 one I had was made much more versatile by this simple mod. It just involves switching some of the existing wiring from one tab on the pots to another- this gives you a much broader tonal palette to play with. I did it myself in about 5mins.

Yeah, I've heard about this. Nice one.

• BumFaceBumFace Frets: 114
    eSully said:
    Have you got the Titanium replacement nut that Gibson give out to replace the brass nut? With that there may be no issue. Another option if you don't want to completely replace the nut could be a tusq one - Graphtech do a drop in one for 2015 models
    Nice one.  It looks the nuts.
  • SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
    I just got the double cut with the brass nut cum zero fret with the G force. I believe if the zero fret was fit for purpose the G force tuning would work albeit my ear is definitely more accurate! The brass zero fret has grooves worn into it. That's just wrong....if it was any other fret you would not buy it or consider it well f***D. And it's not a fret you ever apply finger pressure to. So I've asked Gibson to replace the nut. If they refuse I'm thinking about trying to coat it with titanium powder..... anyone think that might work???
  • SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
    Gibson are sending me a titanium nut. Customer service. Deep joy