Change

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    edited June 2016
    The sooner society becomes cashless the better as far as I am concerned.

Many years ago Australia got rid of its 1c and 2c coins.
    Now they round up or down.

I don't know why the UK doesn't do the same.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    Crikey, I'm doing this wrong. I only chuck 1p and 2p pieces into an old wine carafe. Takes about 18 months to fill it up, then I pour into the coin counting machine (free) at the bank. Usually about £12-14, which won't buy me much.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Crikey, I'm doing this wrong. I only chuck 1p and 2p pieces into an old wine carafe. Takes about 18 months to fill it up, then I pour into the coin counting machine (free) at the bank. Usually about £12-14, which won't buy me much.
    You need the quids and 50's to top it up, otherwise it's as you say, not worth it.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    I have a tin on my desk at work I put 1 and 2p coins in. Occasionally I use some of it. I left my wallet at home the other week and spent £3 in coppers at the self serve in Tesco. This involved carrying a carrier bag with the change in to Tesco ( couple of hundred yards or so) , around the shop and then slowly feeding the self serve machine. They can't cope with too much change at once. I felt a bit self conscious as it took much longer at the self serve than people would normally take ( I went at a quiet time, I wasn't holding anyone up) but at the end of it had my food and Tesco had some more money. Very hard to guess how much is left in it, based on how much I took out I'm guessing around £20. As I will be leaving in a few weeks I guess I should start using more up.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
    I empty all the 50p's and below into separate old yankee candle jars, mysteriously the 20p's and 50p's don't last long (pretty sure they pay for my wifes lunch every now and again).

The £1 and £2 coins all going in my daughters piggy bank, then into one of her savings account.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    octatonic said:

You lot, coming over here, trying to change our archaic monetary systems.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    I bought my first guitar, amp and then my first synth with 20p coins, it's a valid saving method.
    Not done this in years as money doesn't stay in my pocket long enough these days, but I've stopped smoking for just over a week now and every few days I'm chucking the price of a pack of baccy in a jar, see what goodies I can get after a years non smoking :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7492
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I have a girly purse for coins, got fed up of holes in all my trouser pockets. I keep a small tin in my office desk draw to pay for coffee/vending, lotto, leaving gifts etc. I put coins in the pocket of the car for parking when and wherever and reduce the amount in the purse to about £4.00 so I can make change if needed. The tin and car sometimes grow to over £20 each and other times down below a fiver but generally I use all my change sooner or later.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    PC_Dave said:
    octatonic said:

Well, you finally came around to not using money that survives being through the washing machine.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Fretwired said:
    I fancy walking in Coda Music and buying a pedal and then tipping out the contents of my jar on the counter .. would probably get banned .. :-)
    You'd be surprised how welcome that would be in most shops.

It costs them a percentage to get change from the bank when they need it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
     As I will be leaving in a few weeks I guess I should start using more up.
    Oh dear @EricTheWeary - was that voluntary?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    octatonic;1119855" said:
    PC_Dave said:

octatonic said:

Many years ago Australia got rid of its 1c and 2c coins.Now they round up or down.

Well, you finally came around to not using money that survives being through the washing machine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25427663
    Forefront of technology, us.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    Nitefly said:
    Cheers @Nitefly it isn't. I wanted to leave based on either a lottery win or the sack for having sex in the stationary cupboard ( actually someone beat me to that and they still didn't get the sack) but not redundancy after twenty three years. The consultation process started on 6th January and I found out the end of last week so many weeks of not knowing which has been rather stressful. I've referred to it on here a couple of times but it seemed a bit Prima Donna to make an announcement, so referred to it in a Discussion about spare change instead. Might be a honeymoon period but massive relief just to know and the direction things are going at work aren't exactly what I'd choose anyway.I'd saved up leave so am only in the office for half my time left. Not sure what I'm doing next but have a few people to contact. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Nitefly said:
    Cheers @Nitefly it isn't. I wanted to leave based on either a lottery win or the sack for having sex in the stationary cupboard ( actually someone beat me to that and they still didn't get the sack) but not redundancy after twenty three years. The consultation process started on 6th January and I found out the end of last week so many weeks of not knowing which has been rather stressful. I've referred to it on here a couple of times but it seemed a bit Prima Donna to make an announcement, so referred to it in a Discussion about spare change instead. Might be a honeymoon period but massive relief just to know and the direction things are going at work aren't exactly what I'd choose anyway.I'd saved up leave so am only in the office for half my time left. Not sure what I'm doing next but have a few people to contact. 
    Oh, bugger - I did notice a mention in another thread, that's why I asked.

Hope you soon find something you enjoy.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    I used to only put the smaller change in to a box, say 1p to 10p, but now I empty my pocket every time I come home. It's amazing how much it adds up and every couple of months I've got about £150.
    My mate got me in to saving all loose change after he told me he pays his golf fees with the change he saves up. And takes a wee holiday!

I do find myself dipping in to my change box for £1 coins to keep in the car for parking, but the £2 coins soon add up.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Sesh said:
    I used to have an oversized plastic Budweiser bottle. We filled it with small change (nothing more than 50ps), mainly from the left overs from the night before. It got to the point where it was too heavy to lift with one hand, and then one day the bottom gave way. There was a couple of hundred pounds in there. 
    We did the same with one of those. Eventually it split all around the base. I let the kids have the money, around £50 each. Shame it bust, I'd have started again.
    Nitefly said:
    Nitefly said:
    Oh, bugger - I did notice a mention in another thread, that's why I asked.

Hope you soon find something you enjoy.
    Cheers @nitefly .Even if I'm unemployed and watching daytime tv in my underpants I'll just remember how shit work has been at times. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    When I was younger my dad boarded over one of the fireplaces in a bedroom and left a coin slot.

All the spare change went in, ended up with £600 in coppers by the time we ripped it open